I need tips on getting my business going

I just started Selling Scentsy and I need tips on how to get it going. I have posted it on FB and I have a fan page on FB, I made a Journal here, but its not taking off as much as I thought it would. Im about to give up. Do you have any tips for me?

Ambear72

Asked by Ambear72 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• You get out what you put in. If that is all you are doing then you will not get much out if your business. Get out there and network. Join your local chamber of commerce. Put catalogs in waiting areas (doctors offices, car service waiting rooms, etc). Find local advertising and offer the customers an incentive. Start a blog. There are many things that you can do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have been leaving my catalogs around. I am going to be making up some fliers to put around too. I have my catalogs everywhere I go. I did start a blog/journal here on cafemom and also posted an add on craigslist. Im also networking like crazy on FB. Thanks for your input!
    Ambear72

Comment by Ambear72 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Maybe start talking to kids, teens, young adults about upcoming Mother's Day--"Wouldn't you and your mom love the house smelling like this?'--then give them a sniff sample/catalog.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 2:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• that is a GREAT Idea!!! Thank you so much!!!! I will start posting those kinds of things on FB too thanks!
    Ambear72

Comment by Ambear72 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i have a bachelors degree in entrepreneurial venture. i can give you a few ideas but i don't know anything about scentsy. send me a message if you want my help.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• This is a great book on selling:  http://accidentalsalesperson.com/

You need to talk to everyone you know, not just about buying your products, but about asking them to put you in contact with everyone they know.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i really have never understood why companies like yours does not implement a trial period for things like this. i dont have a scensy but if someone was willing to allow me to use one with my choice of a few "free" scents i can bet you i'd be buying it at end of week. just a thought. you might want to buy a few and allow people you know to "try" them for a week. :) good luck!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have been working at home for 7 years total and the biggest suggestion I can give you is to plan and be organized. I work my business in 90 day increments meaning, I set up my marketing and business plan for 90 days at a time. For example, if you are wanting to try to work you business on Facebook, you put that as one of your marketing forms (I suggest 4 to 5 at a time) and then you put what you are going to do. So for FB, you need to be going to other pages and liking them and leaving feedback, in the blogging/fan page/wah world most people follow/like back. If you want to target moms you can simple type "mom" in the search bar, click on Pages (or groups) and find pages that interest you. Leave a comment like "Hi I am stopping by from @yourfanpagename. I really like the tips that you give to moms! I hope you will visit me back." or something like that. On Cafemom, you need to add friends everyday, search moms by things you
    lil-momma-shara

Answer by lil-momma-shara at 7:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• cont....have in common, people you would like to get to know. It's not all about advertising and marketing but about building relationships with your potential customers. The more people you network with the more people that come in contact with your business in the process. You don't want to be one of those moms that is always throwing your business around. BUT you do want to have quality content on your profile in case someone is interested. You also need to change your perspective to "what can I do for YOU" not "what can you do for ME". When you remove yourself from the equation, your business will really take off. I could go on all day with tips, but I have already wrote you a novel :D so I hope this helps! Best wishes to you and your business! Keep your head up and be CONSISTENT in all your efforts.
    lil-momma-shara

Answer by lil-momma-shara at 7:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks Lil-momma-shara, I appreciate your help and suggestions. Scentsy is so easy to sell, once people buy it they love it. Here is my link incase someone wants to check it out. IM NOT TRYING TO SELL IT TO YOU!! I just thought you might like to look it up. www.amberedwards.scentsy.us I like the idea about trying it for a week. The biggest problem I am having right now is to get people to book a party, no one is interested. I offer free gifts to people who place orders before the party, and I hold drawings on my FB page. Im trying to not make it all about buy buy buy I want to make it fun and exciting. As my business grows then I will be able to offer better prizes.
    Ambear72

Comment by Ambear72 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011