Medicaid Question.

We are technically a low-income family. My husband is disabled. His disability keeps him from being able to care for a baby alone. I have been a SAHM since I gave birth to my baby. Our only income comes from stocks I've had since I was a baby. We sold some recently to buy land and to build a house, we did this so we wouldn't have a rent or mortgage payment. While the house is being built we are staying in a 15 foot camper with our dogs in my parents' backyard. Our older child sleeps inside my parents' house bc there's not enough room in the camper.

Continued below.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• I really don't want to get medicaid bc I feel like it's unethical and I don't want to take advantage of the program when so many others need it more than us. Our kids get all of their checkups and shots at the local health department. The problem is that my husband and my daughter both have medical problems that require specialized doctors, and I am beginning to have neurological problems. Advice please?
    Anonymous

• I am confused. You cashed out stocks and had enough to buy land and build a house outright. Are you broke now? How much money are we talking here that you are living on from stocks? Sounds like a pretty substansial amount if you paid cash for land and a house. In that case, I don't think you could get medicaid.
    Anonymous

• If your husband is disabled, doesn't he get SSI/disability? If he does, he automatically qualifies for Medicaid. If he doesn't get checks every month and is unable to work, he should apply. In any case, every one should have access to medical insurance coverage. You may qualify for a type of Medicaid that isn't exactly free, you have co-pays. Check out the laws in your state and see what you can find.
    Anonymous

• I am the OP.
    I guess I should have been more clear. We got the land through a forclosure auction, only a few thousand dollars, and to build the house is almost as much when we find cheap materials. When I say house, I'm talking a 24x24 foot cabin - living room, kitchen, bathroom, and 3 upstairs bedrooms. We definitely qualify for medicaid. I don't want to cash out all of the stocks because that's what we live off of. I was going to school full time and working full time when I got pregnant. I was on birth control at the time and taking it religiously. To qualify for disability, you have to qualify for social security benefits, and to qualify for ssi you can't have any stocks. The disability payments would be about half of what we have now (monthly).
    Anonymous