Have you heard of the hook effect?

It's this thing that all blood and urine tests come back negative, but an ultrasound confirms the pregnancy. I believe I'm going through it now and people are just making me feel absolutely insane, because I know my body and they're telling me I'm wrong.

I've had family who's gone through it too. My half-sister has had 3 kids and had this happen on all three of her pregnancies. I honestly don't know what to do about it. I have an ultrasound monday, and HOPEFULLY, they won't refuse it again...

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you deal?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had the strangest feeling I was pregnant and I went to the doctor and they did a blood test and it came back negaitve. then I "started my period" (it was shorter and lighter than normal and in the middle of the month instead of the begining so it was just a weird period) but I just had this feeling. I had dreams about it and everything. six weeks after the first test, one came back positive.

just keep persevering!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I actually had a home pregnancy test come back positive. And I went in and blood and urine said NEG. I insistated I was pregnant. I had all the symptons. 3 months later I started bleeding so bad I had to crawl to the car the pain was so bad. Turns out I had an advanced ectopic pregnancy. YEAH Talk about MAD. They didnt know what to think!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm so sorry to hear that, jmgblair01. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Anyone else?
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• We KNEW I was pregnant. I took about 10 tests, all came back negative. I had a blood test, negative. Got an ultrasound done, they found a sac but didnt tell me so I didnt know for sure. Then about a month later I took another test and it finally came out positive. It was a hassle but now Im 6 months along and doing great!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Glad to hear that! Maybe I'll try another test...lol I have an ultrasound tomorrow, though, so I don't know if there's a use for a test. lol
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011