Tags on or off?

I work at a department store where I get *killer* deals on clothes for all of us. Normally the prices are outrageous but I'm privy to a good discount and first dubs on clearance sale items. Often I'll get new stuff for less than $3 plus my employee discount. When I give these clothes to sd I usually take off the red tag with the low price but I've been considering removing the high priced tag, too. We really can't afford $40 jeans so I don't want sd12 to think we can, yet I don't want them to be devalued in her eyes because they are so inexpensive.

It's sort of a social experiment slash what would you do question: leave it alone or take off one or the other of the tags...

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 2:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would remove all tags
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would leave them on and take the opportunity to teach about how to be frugal by finding the best deals on the name brand stuff...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree, too, remove all tags
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would tear off both prices. Just leave the logo brand tag on or rip it half way so both dont show. Thats what I do when I give a gift. Its a gift, prices shouldn't be on in my opinion.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Leave the tags on. ALL of them. Make sure she understand that she wouldn't be getting these pricey cloths if you didn't get a great discount in the first place. No time like the present to teach a kid the value of money and the cost of goods. If the kid is upset you didnt pay full price, re evaluate what she's being taught. Who wants a kid who only wants high priced and full priced things because of what others tell her to think. A discount Chanell suit is STILL a Chanell suit!! You just were smart and didnt pay the over inflated full price for a "name" If Tommy Hilfigure wants me to wear his close he can DAMN well PAY ME to wear them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'd take both tags off, and explain to her that you got her these clothes on sale, and that money is not something that can be spent lightly in this economy, so she had better take care of them and enjoy them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Leave the tags ON and explain why you can get those designer clothes for her even though they are expensive. She is old enough to know and understand.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Since she's old enough, I'd leave both on! That then becomes a good lesson in shpoping, discounts, etc. !
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011