I need some ecouragement from parents of (former) VERY picky eaters. Is she going to have a cotton cheese sandwich instead of a wedding cake? Will she ask for m"usli and milk on a date in a fancy restaurant?

Please tell me: "No." 

My dd has a very limited variation of food that she likes. I try and do my best to have her eat different things. I don't want advice on how and what to do. Because I read all about it, tried it all and everything failed. What I want are some stories about WHEN picky eaters stopped being picky. Is it possible? Can it happen?

Please tell me "yes". Please!

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• She will outgrow it. Kids have very different food palates than adults. My son was very picky as a young child and now that he's in high school he is trying more and more new foods. I was the same way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Some picky eating is more than picky eating. I think a formal feeding evaluation and possibly therapy is necessary in some cases, and can be done by a speech language pathologist.
    RozyMama

Answer by RozyMama at 3:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm sorry, just wondering what the heck cotton cheese is!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son is very picky...he actually went through feeding therapy for months and improved greatly but I know where you are coming from. My little brother was the same way when we were little. It was so bad with him that my mom had to feed him in a different room than me and my other brother b/c he would throw up if he saw us eating scrambled eggs or anything with ketchup on it. To this day (he is in his 30s) his food selection is limited but not as bad as when he was a kid. He used to only eat 4 items over and over. He is able to go out to a restaurant now enjoy a meal but he still can't have his food touch nor does he like to take one bite of one kind of food and then another bite of another kind of food on the plate. He has to eat all of each item at the same time before moving on.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• All 3 of my boys were/are picky eaters. My oldest is on the Autism Spectrum and has sensory issues, so I am sure that played a big part in what he would/would not eat. Thankfully he did grow out of it, and as a grade schooler and middle schooler he was open to trying new foods and he would eat a variety of foods. My middle also outgrew his picky stage and now eats a variety of foods. My youngest is 5 and still in his picky stage. I hope he will grow out of it soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have always been a picky eater.( vegan) I raised 4 children to adulthood and have 6 grandchildren who are very pick eaters.
    Relax! Put out healthy foods and a child will eat when they're hungry. Without junk food you will have a healthy child.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That can be one of the most frustrating things to deal with! I feel for you!! Here is a link to an article on picky eaters that you may find really helpful. Lots of tips for you! I wish you the best!
    http://www.helpmealison.com/picky-eaters.html
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Aww.. picky eaters can be so hard on the parents!! How old is your daughter? Here's what I know:

My nephew had a lot of sensory and medical issues when he was little and was a VERY picky eater for years, but he's now 16 and will eat anything you put in front of him.

His sister was also very picky (also had medical issues), and at 13 is still SUPER picky.. and unfortunatly is not very healthy.

My friend's son is both very picky and stubborn (it has become a control thing), but he's somehow currently a very healthy, smart, energetic 4 year old despite the pickiness.

My son is still very young (only 19 months old) but he went through a relatively brief very picky stage (lasted around 4-5 months) after he turned 1 but now is slowly expanding his selection again since I've changed tactics (no pressure or tricks - he can choose to eat or not)... and I really hope it keeps improving this way.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011