My 6 month old is a bottomless pit... The Dr says his weight is healthy and to keep feeding on demand, but could I be setting him up for a life of obesity?

singlemominUSN

Asked by singlemominUSN at 2:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as his weight is good then he is doing fine. All of my children were bottomless pits and they are all on the thin side of average.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No. As his growing slows,his appetite will slack off

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No when he starts crawling and walking he will work that chub off. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• your dr is correct. children will go through phases of eating tons, eating normal and even periods of time you will be concerned your child isn't eating enough. your 6 month old is likely about to have a growth spurt.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 3:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i ignored the dr for the most part and let my kid son eat tell he was full all the time and even gave him some mushies at that age. my view is that if the child is active and eating right there should be no fear for them putting on to much. as long as there not showing a slow down in there activities i wouldn't worry to much, be smart and watch what they take in to the rate of what they put out. if the child never sit still let them have a few extra things as long as they eat healthy other times, my son snacks on home made cookies and sweets, but will still down all his dinner and lunch and at 2 1/2 uses a belt to keep up his 24 month pants. its more of what feels right as a parent then anything.
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 3:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• As long as the doc. says his weight is good, he should be fine. He could be going through a growthspirt and his appetite could slow down. Kids kind of go through a weird phase, where they'll be chubby part of the year, then hit a spirt the other part of the year, and not be so chubby, cause they hit that spirt, and want to eat more.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 3:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Agree with all of the above but wanted to add a point:
    Babies' bodies know when they are full. A baby won't be compelled to "finish his plate" or a "waste no, want not" mind set to continue eating after he is full.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Unless you're bottle feeding, there isn't a reason for any concern.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son was a very big eater and big baby (20 lbs @ 3 months old). His doctors had no problem with his weight and were not afraid he would grow up to be obese. He was and still is very healthy. My son is now 14 and a normal, healthy growing teenager. BTW, he was bottle and formula fed.

ObbyDobbie--was is it a concern if a child is bottle fed?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Watch for his fullness cues, if you keep feeding after he's done then it's beyond feeding on demand. As long as he is healthy you have nothing to worry about, you're doing it right :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011