Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Custody and meeting half way?

My husband has had custody of his son since he was 5 and he is now 10. She was order to pay child support but has only paid half a years worth. When he was 7 she took us back to try to get full custody (that's the only time she's paid cs was before the court date). She didn't get it but since she's moved so far away we were ordered to meet her half way. We have just recently filled with the attorney general's office to enforce child support and help get the back support but still no luck. Times are hard and we can no longer afford to meet her half way. Has anyone ever taken their ex back to court to remove the meeting of the half way thing? How did it turn out?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • ive never been in that stick but i have lived it as the child my mom was to take me and my sibs half way then started taking us 25% of the way then none at all the courn never said anything to hear about not taking us.

    Answer by Manda_Evans at 3:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • This is a really frustrating and difficult situation. I know because I lived it. No one asked her to move half way to freaking pluto and now we are burdened with doing half the driving. It is a royal pain in the ass. The best thing you can do is to sit down with an attorney and try and figure out how to fix this situation. Keep a calendar of mileage, cost of gas, any other expenses and keep all your receipts for gas, etc. For us, we had to sit in the horrible rush hour traffice on the Washington D.C. beltway every other Friday afternoon for hours only to show up at the meeting place and have her not show up. If you have this type of problem, you need to also make notes of those incidents so that you can show the judge the hardship you undergo. Good luck! I wouldn't want to go back to those days for all the money in China!!! LOL

    Answer by azhlynne at 3:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • A year ago, I moved from the East Coast to West Coast. My ex is fighting me on custody. Well we went to court in Sept and I offered him a week at Spring Break, 6 weeks in Summer, 5 days at Thanksgiving, and a week during Winter Break. And offered to pay half of her travel costs, which she can fly alone as long as it's a direct flight and we pay the fee. He didnt accept the offer but the judge decided that's how it's gonna be. He appealed it and we go to court in a couple weeks. I don't mind paying half of her travel costs as long as he is paying child support but he hasn't in the last few months. We went through DCSE for support but I'm hoping that the judge will add a clause that says if he is X amount behind on CS that I don't have to pay half.

    Answer by huntin_mama at 3:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • If you can't afford it , you can't afford it. You need to go to the court to ask for an amendment to the order. The travel for visitation is one issue. The missing chiild support is a separate isssue. One has nothing to do with the other. Every custodial parent who isn't getting their child support but still has to give the EX visitation feel like they are getting screwed. I don't disagree with them., but it is how it works.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.