So... If it's not a "Religion", then why not give up your tax exemption?

"Christianity is not a religion. Catholic, Methodist, Episcopal, etc. are religions. Christianity is a relationship with God and his son Jesus Christ. It is a system of beliefs and unquestioning faith. " ~ From previous thread.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hey... Episcopalians!!!!!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Do you assume everyone uses the tax exemption? Because I don't I give out of the heart not out of what I will get from taxes. I have never used the tax exemption thing when I tithe.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Also when we say it is not a religion... we are meaning we are not bound by tradition, legalism and OT Law but we are walking in freedom, no tradition, and NT Grace. The church is still an institution and people still tithe and taxes are a blessing in return and like I said I don't use that but if I did, I would see it as a blessing. God can use what was meant for evil and turn it around for good.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That statement confuses me a little. Aren't Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, etc. denominations of Christianity? With that being said, Christianity is a religion, but to me it is more than just MY religion. Being a Christian is about developing a relationship with God and Jesus Christ,and finding my way in life. And I would gladly give up my tax exemption. Tax exemptions aren't important to me.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Wouldn't that fall under charitable donations? You want people to not get tax deductions for charitable tithing. ..any kind of charitable giving? Nah, silly me...you're just wagging a tail at xtians, of course.
    "Render unto Ceasar...and unto God what is God's."...works for me!
    Its a WIN-WIN! LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I could be wrong but I think she may be talking about the tax exemption that churches enjoy not your personal taxes for giving to charity.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It is a religion. Deal with it. What is the big deal. You ask someone "what is your religion?" They answer" I am Christian, Muslim, agnostic" what have you. Stop trying to beat around the bush and make something that it isn't or is. Good Lord people
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It is considered a religion in general, but that doesn't mean that we have to believe and act in a religious manner.. Religion is about rules and earning your way to heaven through works, that is not true Christianity.. There is a difference between being religious and having a relationshop with God..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 5:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• So are you thinking that everyone who gives to a church claims it on their taxes. You could not be more wrong. Very few people who actually give offerings or pay their tithes request a receipt for tax purposes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• "Your" meaning the religion as a whole... not an individual.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011