How can i teach my son {effectively} (18 mo.s) not to bite other children?

He's such a sweetheart! very active, outgoing big personality! everyday we go to the park or beach to keep him occupied and let mama relax and let him run off that energy! He always has to hug girls on the playground . but yesterday, he hugged a girl, then bit her in the face. i imediatly removed him from her and looked him in the eyes and said NO BITING, BAD BOY! and sat him down to make him understantd thats unacceptible. But he has biten before ...but never in the face after a hug. i do not want him to do it period. ever again-only how do i get him to stop?? any suggestions to you mamas out there?

CaliMama1

Asked by CaliMama1 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that for a bit, we broke him quick when he bit me, and I bit back. Not hard of course, but enough to surprise him. He also did that to my friends daughter who is 4, and I told her to bite him back, just not hard, and she did it, and he stopped doing it after he got bit back a few times.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 3:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Do NOT bite him back!!! At his age, it is more likely that he is frustrated and doesn't have the verbal skills to say what is wrong. Or he is teething and biting helps relieve the pressure. Tell him firmly, "NO THAT HURTS" and move away from him. Keep doing it until he stops.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have read all sorts of things about biting, some say its a reaction too much change and search for control. I think for little boys it seems like a dramatic misplaced version of affection. I think that you probably handled it the right way. I never bit my son but we definitely made sure that he got time outs and I asked him if he would like it if I bit him, and made the gesture and that started the wheels turning. I found the mere threat just as effective as the action.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011