Duplicity a common law of nature?

In nature, nothing (that I can think of) creates anything but itself -- reproduces duplicates -- so would that mean an entire Universe could also be reproducing offspring? Or does that characteristic stop here on Earth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're jumping from the rules of life forms and applying those rules to systems. The processes of the earth create multiple things - at the atomic level, atoms collide and join, and they transfer electrons from one to the next. When that happens a variety of things are created. This is going on constantly within the earth, the atmosphere, and the space around us, though we don't even notice it, and that is the process which is replicated throughout the universe. The new thing that is created is dependent on multiple factors. The universe is expanding, and new galaxies, solar systems and planets are being formed every day, but each is unique in its place within the expanding mesh that is the universe. If one could split off, in the form of an "offspring", where would it be that it wouldn't eventually be swallowed up by the expanding universe?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Parallel universes?

idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Some religions believe in multiple universes or an Omniverse. Even some physicists and cosmologists think this might be true, and Omiverse is a term they use as well. I'm not really sure if it's true in the way you mean though (unless I'm misunderstanding the question). It's interesting to read about Omniverse theories though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well,in actuality there are in fact both single cell and complex organism which DO reproduce without help of a mate - Monitor Lizards for example.

Now, is there cause to hold a belief in a parallel universe? Meh, I believe in different realms or layers to life and reality. So in a way those could be seen as parallel realities, but since I believe they intersect with this one, they really aren't. Of course that doesn't mean their aren't... But it's honestly something I've always been a little overwhelmed by when it came to thought and research of beliefs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2011