Finger Sucking

My 4 yr old has always sucked her index finger backwards. She would never take a pacifier as a baby and i am having a hard time breaking her of the habit, I tried nail bitter. Now I tell her if she wants to suck her finger she needs to go to her room to do it because i dont want to see it. It drives my husband crazy when she does it. And I have a 6 month old so when she plays with him she is spreading those germs as well. Any suggestions?

singlemominUSN

Asked by singlemominUSN at 3:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's probably too young for one of those devices they put on the roof of her mouth that wont allow for thumb or finger sucking. Does she just do it if she is bored or tired? All 3 of my children refused a pacifier, but sucked thumbs or fingers (esp. when tired.) They all outgrew it. As long as she washes her hands before touching the baby, I think you may have to wait this one out. But go ahead & talk to the Dentist too. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My daughter used to suck her index and middle fingers- on into school age. What did it was taking her to an awesome dentist that told her he'd give her $1 if she'd quit by the next visit. She did and he did pay her the ONE dollar!! :) I know it might drive you crazy but try to just ignore the habit. The more you make it an issue- the more she will defy you and continue. Don't worry about the germs (unless she is putting her fingers in baby's mouth). You can talk to your dentisi and see if he/she'd be willing to make the same deal... some children can be more stubborn so get creative with what might motivate her... with Easter coming up...maybe a secret note from the "Easter Bunny" in an egg asking if she'd quit he will bring her something special back in 4 months... or something like that :) Hope that helps and good luck :) New mantra... "this too shall pass..." ;)
    SCMomKatie

Answer by SCMomKatie at 3:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes, LEAVE HER BE. Finger or thumb sucking is a comfort for some kids. The more you bring it up the more she will do it. She will stop when she is ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011