Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Ghandi was right.

http://www.northernsun.com/images/imagelarge/I-Like-Your-Christ-Gandhi-Bumper-Sticker-(7026).jpg

MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 3:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• In the case of religions I can think of that speak of love and compassion but have a very bloody histories, I would say that doctrine is open to interpretation and not every person who follows a religion will always live up to its ideal.

There are some religions and philosophies that promote love, respect, compassion, kindness, AND NON-violence. So, the practitioners of those religions and philosophies don't usually go around starting wars--some defend themselves if others start it and a few are complete pacifists.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I can only think of a couple of religions which actually support love... none of them fuel war.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Because men give themselves over to other emotions such as hatred, anger, greed, etc. Many wars that have had religious support (or even worn the mask of religion) have really been about other issues - politlcal/geopolitical, etc. Its just a known fact that people are going to rally around what is important and common to them, hence the reason things like patriotism, faith, etc are used as a call to arms when someone wants to gain support. Its easy to twist the texts and faiths, too, in order to try to "justify" the wrong that is done. But doing so doesn't really justify anything, and is only a bastardization of the faith of so many....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I do truly believe that religion tries to call us to rise above such emotions - like anger, greed, hate, etc. It encourages us to grow and improve. Those who use religion to justify actions based on those emotions totally miss the point...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If this is true it would have to be that not everyone believes the same way or the same thing. Even people within the same religion don't always believe the same at times.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If there was no religion people would still go to war. Humans will always find a reason to want to fight and dominate each other.
    Anonymous

• well, thats what happens when you (general) allow religions to control politics...it becomes impossible to differentiate between the church's actions and the governments actions.

but other than in the case above i dont know of when a religion has actually CAUSED a war and not just the bad actions of those who claim said religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• As Milly above so aptly pointed out - RELIGIONS do not cause wars.

Some people USE religion as an excuse, or twist a religion to persuade followers into destructive paths.

It's getting old, don't you think? to have people insisting that very separate things be glommed together?

The Hindus who slaughtered muslims in their communities were NOT acting on their religion.

The "Christians" who did x, y, or z are quite separate from the Christian RELIGION.
    And a great deal of "Christian" doctrine is quite separate from Christ Himself and from what He said in the Gospels.

It's not difficult to be clear about this. It just takes rational thinking.
    Many anti-religion arguments dissolve in the face of rational, orderly thought ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Bandgeek...once again I agree with you. I do too believe that the idea is to rise above these emotions because we all know first hand how anger, lust, hatred and so on can consume you. It is when man assumes he knows everything and that just because it is written we should follow that it becomes a problem. There is too much political control as I see it anyway though of course I am always open to learn more
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011