You got OWNED! you're gonna get OWNED! OWNED!

does anyone else think whoever uses the word owned to describe a victory over someone else is incredibly stupid? what is with all these ignorant words our younger generations are spreading around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd rather a kid said "owned" or some other silly slang than use words like 'gay' or 'retarded' when they really mean annoying or stupid. I think if there's any use of language that bothers me, it's using words like that in a way that's not only incorrect, but potentially destructive, and it's not just kids that do it either. But that's just my two cents.

lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Watch it now, you're gonna start sounding like our parents! Or their parents! -LOL Each generation has their own version of slang words, and every generation older than them think they sound stupid! Not saying I dont agree w/ you, but it's just a phase. Word! (lol)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm sure the first teen to say "You're the cats pajamas" or "Peachy keen jelly bean" and Groovy, far out, boss, bitchin', "trippin', or 'trick" were making a few parents roll their eyes too. It is the obligation of each generation to coin something of themselves.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Try surfing Urban Dictionary. It's an education in the current jargon.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 4:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Hahaha yeah! I listen to my younger brother play video games and some of the things they come up with are ridiculous, but It has been that way for generations. They had different sayings in the 70's and 80's and so on that sound just as silly lol
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Eh, if I think something like that is silly or stupid, I just don't use that word or phrase. I consider myself well-read and educated, but I don't look down on others for using popular slang if that is how they choose to express themselves. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• OP: They do have a dictionary to help interpret what the current slang words mean- for us old farts who need to keep up & understand WTH they are talking about! -lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Its Powned You got Powned! LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Wow I write anime and play several games I find the creativity and openess awesome.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well I am 27 years old. I must say I have never heard of the sayings you are referring to lol...I am not a big user of slang (Do I use it yes!) however in my field of work I have to be able to communicate with adolescents, teens, and youth. So when slang is being used I don't freak out because you have to reach them on their level SOMETIMES.

NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011