my son is giving me a hard time in potty training.any tips on encouraging him?

he is almost 3 years old.he has some delays in speech and understanding what isay to him.i tried many things to teach him,but he is not accepting the idea.i need advice and help.

Maisoon A.

Asked by Maisoon A. at 3:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let him run naked.. or just wait. My boys were 3.5 ..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My boyfriend and I used stickers or something as a reward. That helped a lot.

Good luck!
    kimandeverrett

Answer by kimandeverrett at 4:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If your son is not ready to be potty trained, it will be nearly impossible to get him potty trained. He could end up with fear or resentment towards the toilet. You could read him childrens books about potty training. One of my fave books is "Everybody Poops". Do activities in the bathroom, maybe he can help you clean the toilet. If your bathroom is super clean you can play a matching game with pics of potty related things, IN the bathroom. Make it FUN, and exciting! Rewards work very well for this. A sticker chart that is posted somewhere he can see, and know "WOW, I got a sticker this time, this time, this time... because I went potty!" :) I wish you luck!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• he may not be ready yet. don't push it too much.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Wait until HE is ready and it will be pretty easy to train him. He will NOT train until he is ready, no matter how much you push, reward, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Boys take longer. We used the "potty frog" so that when he used the potty, he could get a candy out of the potty frog, which is a ceramic frog shaped trash can you can get at target.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 4:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• get him he's favorite undies and tell him not to pee on there faces... like buzz and woody undies... it does help and everytime he does potty the toilet praise him and let him know how exciting it is.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011