Perfectioist living in a messy house?

I know someone that claims to be a perfectionist, but lives in a messy house full of clutter. Do you think that is possible? She says that she wants things done a certain way and when she tries to clean the way she wants that she gets overwhelmed and then nothing gets done.

What do you think? Perfectionist or using that as an excuse?

MillyPontipee

Asked by MillyPontipee at 4:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am not sure. If she is a perfectionist on every aspect of her life and she spends so much time obsessing over the details that nothing actually gets done, I could see that.

On the other hand, I can look around the room and think "maybe I'm a perfectionist today" LOL!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Nope! I believe her! I struggle from the same issues- I feel like if it can't be perfect, then why bother. I am also easily overwhelmed, and find it depressing, literally, to live in a messy or cluttered home. It has taken a lot of effort on my part to help me get through these issues.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Perfectionism comes in MANY different forms and applies to many different aspects of peoples lives, not everything in their life. But yea, I see your point. How can you be a perfectionist in say dressing, doing your hair or yard work, or at your job and live like a slob?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Ditto what lovingmy4babies said ... same here. When I worked, my desk was perfect. Nothing out of place. My house on the other hand, not so much. We crammed almost 2000 sq ft into a house less than 900sq ft PLUS his mom's stuff!!

It really can be overwhelming and depressing.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think she's probably struggling with feeling overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start. She sounds like she may be suffering from anxiety. I think it's very possible.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 4:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My spreadsheets at work were perfect. A work of art! My house is not.

It wasn't bad when I had my own house (not good enough for me though, except some places, like my bookshelves were very well-organised), but I have a loss of control over it now that I have kids messing up as I work, and my cleaning time is time I'm not doing my job with them- otherwise, I have 1-2 hours a day. It is overwhelming and depressing. Anxiety is part of perfectionism, and goes hand-in-hand with depression. If you can't keep up to your standards, it seems pointless, saps energy.

I was just reading a UK anxiety site, that most people with perfectionism/OCD/anxiety have some things they keep pristine, and others that they can't keep to their standards and just "let go". If they do that, they are probably spending a lot of time on rituals or tiny details you don't even notice, leaving much less energy for the big stuff.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I can deal with my house, but I dont really have a choice. We are cramped into an 800 sq foot apartment. We have a LOT of crap and I am slowly getting rid of it. As far as being a perfectionist, I am one. But I can live with clutter, I just dont WANT to.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 5:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She may have a perfectionistic personality but obviously, lacking a bit in the execution because it can become overwhelming. I don't think she's making excuses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• WOW, I am a perfectionist! My house HAS to be neat and clean! IDK maybe she is in oher ways! LOL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011