Potty training regression

My DD potty trained aboutd 2 months ago at 20 months, her best friend at daycare was potty training and she wanted to also so we went for it and it was so easy and she did great until this week. She started a new daycare and did great the first 2 days and then the 3rd day she had 2 accidents. Now this weekend she is just peeing her pants and not using the potty at all? I ask her frequently if she needs to go and she says no. I don't know how to deal with this, I don't know if I am supposed to punish her or how to deal with it. I am beyond frustrated I don't want to go back to diapers because I know she is capable of using the potty. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Colie68

Asked by Colie68 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try giving her rewards when she does use the bathroom. get some potty books so she knows that spongebob and mickey use the potty too. She needs to know she's doing a good thing. but also keep in mind that she's still extremely young and there will be regressions.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 4:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Never punish I child for having an accident, sounds like she is regressing because of the daycare change, thats a big deal for a little one. Good luck!
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 4:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks, I thought punishment was the wrong thing to do but I just don't know how to deal with it.
    Colie68

Comment by Colie68 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• my son is doing that too right now but i don't get mad cause i think it makes it worse for them but i do talk to him and ask him why he didn't tell me he had to go pee that everything else can wait... when we go out he is great about it... just at home... but i know it can get fustrating cause you don't know what started this for them but just hold it strong mom your doing great..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She is good when we go out too, the only time she did use the potty yesterday was when we were at target.
    Colie68

Comment by Colie68 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Go back to taking her to the potty every 30 minutes or shorter if needed. Don't ask ,just tell her it's time to try. Stay calm, matter of fact, and no punishment. Recent changes in her life can cause this and she still is very young. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks Elizabr, I will give that a try.
    Colie68

Comment by Colie68 (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Change can bring a mountain of anxiety to a small child. We had similar issues when moving houses. I ended up playing into the regression with extra hugs and attention and sayin no matter how big you get you'll always be my baby. Perhaps starting with the things you did that kept her going on the potty when she doesn't have an accident and a little extra security will put her back on track.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2011