Well, f***.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/ts_afp/usgermanytelecomcompanymerger

My husband company just got bought out. I'm terrified. I don't know what to expect, and the best part, if we get to keep his job at all, they will be deducting union dues.

We cannot afford that. What happens with a merger like this? Anyone know what the consequences are for American jobs?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That all depends. Things could very well stay the same. But until then, I wouldnt worry about anything that you have no control over.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 4:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My niece is an RF engineer for T mobile. I will see what she thinks. Her dad, (my brother) retired from AT&T. He reitred from the Navy before that and it was SBC when he started and he did not like AT&T or the union.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• – collapse
    With a union behind him he should be able to get NICE pay raises and WAY better health benefits. Its called collective bargaining rights. Like what Wisconsin is trying to take away from the teachers. Also with LOTS of union members you'll be getting WAY cheaper and way better health insurance. What happens with the take over greatly depends on the terms the company negotiated in the sale. You need to know that before you freak out. AT&T is a STRONG company that doesn't buy up other company's and fire thousands of people. Unlike Sprint. This is going to be a WAY better thing for him. You'll see.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• In most cases of a merger, if you are a good employee with a good work record, they keep you. But, on the other hand, after the merger if the company begins to lose contracts and such, then I would worry.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Don't listen to the "pro-union" crowd. ANYTIME someone tells you not to think for yourself and "trust us," you SHOULD be concerned.

I'm new to the whole forced union concept, BUT, in my years in the private sector (and having a husband who's company over the past 30 years has been bought and sold and a few weeks ago pulled out of Chapter 11, and his job has managed to survive) is private companies ALWAYS look at their bottom line! They will evaluate everyone's productivity and redundancy levels, and while they will often cut the highest and lowest paid staff off the top, they will also look at essential and non-essential employees to determine who has the skills and work ethic to do the job of 2 or more people, to save the company money.

What I HATE about unions is they "reward" mediocrity--no one is better, faster, or smarter than anyone else, and employees only work to the letter of their job descriptions/roles. SORRY!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• – collapse
    well, that sure was encouraging for her,Lorikeet.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Minne Kerp...Lovin and I are off cafemom friends...and we have talked about this concern of hers before. But thanks for chiming in with your "nice" opinion! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Honestly, I agree with Vbruno. I am now in my first position where I am union represented and the wages and benefits I receive are top of the line for my position. If he "makes the cut", I would expect the raises and benefits to more than make up for the dues.

That said, LoriKeet is also correct in that they reward mediocrity and knowing that employees have so much protection through the union can extinguish work ethic. This can also become very expensive for the employer. However at a time of M&A, I am sure that the company knows what impact the union will have on them and have considered the financial impact it will have.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I know what the consequences are, but nothing that's very comforting. Make sure he has his resume ready, and it wouldn't hurt you to start sending them out now before the layoffs hit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

I have to agree!! Id also start doing your best at budgeting. You need to learn how to live within your means if this does happen. Good luck and dont let it bring you down!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2011