Anyone out there in the Real Estate business?

I just have a question if you're in the real estate business. I am considering look into it. But I am wondering, what do you have to do to get your license? (In Texas..if you know) And would you say that this is a very promising career to get into the with the economy?

Thanks!

:)

raegan1221

Asked by raegan1221 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• My mom got her license in Nj. All she had to do was take a course and pass the big test at the end
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am not in the business but two good friends are. They are hurting big time in this economy. Their listings are on the market for months without selling. Plus they have lowered their commission to get listings. It is a buyers market right now. They both took a course and got their licenses in MA.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I just sat through the course and passed my exam for Missouri. That was about $650.00 right there. To get started after that, I would have had to interview brokers I wanted to work for. Once I choose a broker, I would pay them $100.00 to send in for my license. After that I would have to pay $55.00 for finger printing. After that, I would receive a bill from my local MLS office for approximately $850.00 worth of various charges, including my yearly MLS dues and such. That's just to get started. Depending on what office you chose, you might have monthly desk fees, etc. Plus any and all advertising I would do would be out of my own pocket. Gas to drive potential customers around and my time, of course, is all on me! After interviewing and talking with tons of brokers, I decided to NOT pursue it. I can, however, still get my license and put it on hold. I found out it's very competitive in my local area, CONT
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• with well over 600 sales people. I also found out that new people have had their lives threatened for "invading" others' territories..???? Now, put that all together, with the average house being on the market for up to 6 months and well, you are drastically in the whole! I want to make money... not spend it. I found all this out after I had spent the money for the class.... So, I am passing it on to you. Eventually, the market will pick up, yes... and there are other opportunities out there for making money, but they are few and far between. I could have went with a local property management company, but the money I would have been making there still was not guaranteed. I opted to seek regular M-F employment. Oh, that's another thing, remember that most of your business will be done on evenings and weekends.

Hope that all helps.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Wow. okay thank you very much for all of your info. It's been very helpful in quickly deciding that this would not be the field for me. I am a single Mom, and I value my weekends with my son. Wow. Thanks again!!!
    raegan1221

Comment by raegan1221 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was a realtor in Houston, getting your license is easy IMO. But there are way, way too many other realtors.
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 11:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011