Vegetarian or Vegan...less expensive on the grocery bill?

Is a Vegetarian or Vegan lifestyle less expensive on the grocery bill? Considering transitioning to a Plant Based Lifestyle....

Does it save money?

sendcheer

Asked by sendcheer at 5:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have already stated my experience with cost...(which veg is definitely cheaper IF you don't buy the prefab meat tasting items) now I will make a statement about health since someone commented that vegans she knows look"sickly"...I am 49 years old and became a complete vegetarian at age 15. In my 20's I was vegan for 4 years, but decided to eat cheese again and eggs because I had my own laying hens and cow. I work often in theatre and am told that I look 15-20 years younger than others my age. I have never smoked cigarettes and drink very little alcohol. I contend that my healthy skin and my internal health ( I have never had any serious illness and rarely get colds) are due largely to my vegetarianism. My friends which have chosen vegetarianism look vibrant and happy to me. I have nothing against people who choose to eat meat,it is a personal choice and I think vegetarianism holds great benefits for adults and children.
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Vegetarian is definitely cheaper IF you do not fall for the prefab meat like meals. I have been a vegetarian for over 35 years and one day my tax preparer said to me "DO you realize how much you save by not buying meat or fish? About 3000.00 to 7000.00 dollars a year for a family of 4!" So hey you can save a lot over 35 years.  There are so many wonderful recipes on line and in books. I do not know why so many people seek to replace the taste of meat or fish when they try to become vegetarian by buying boca burgers etc. It is even cheaper to become vegan because the price of cheese is high. I  do want you to make sure you take vitamin B12 and make sure you mix rice and beans for protein. good luck

notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Of the two, vegetarian is cheaper. You are REALLY limited with a Vegan diet, and will be spending TONS on fresh produce. The rest of the stuff is specialty Whole Foods-type gourmet stuff.

If you are vegatarian, you can take advantage of sales on dairy, cheeses, eggs, etc., at the normal grocery store.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think it depends on what you like. We have at least one meatless meal a week and that meal always cost the same of less than if we added meat. But we stick to purely veggies and tofu for that meal. You specialized cheeses, meatless meats and premade meals are going to be more. Burgers are great made with black beans, spaghetti is awesome with roasted veggies, A big chef salad with almonds is good, Stir fry is fabulous with tofu...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• notjustmom213... I need to take a lesson from you!! you sound like a gal with lots of info that I could really USE!!
    sendcheer

Comment by sendcheer (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Absolutely! Dried beans and lentils and healthy and cheap.

Send me a message if you would like some great recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I wish I knew what all of the disagreement was about. Is it because you are against vegetarianism, or do you disagreee with what is cheaper? I appreciate that scoutmom actually stated her reason of disagreement.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My sister & I were both vegetarians for like 6 years... sadly, it cost more to do that then not to be. I dont know what state your in, but here in NC we have like Boca burgers and stuff like that, its sorta high. but it's so much easier to make & not as messy... and it cooks faster.
    juniebug11

Answer by juniebug11 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Not necessarily. I know for my family and how I buy food, it's much cheaper to buy real meat than other stuff instead (we buy the whole animal, averages about $2/lb for the whole works).
    Anonymous

• Well, if you want to have your only source of protein to be beans, I guess it's cheap. Personally, I can't stand them. Every vegan I know looks sickly all the time, I would seriously consider the effects on your kids before making the switch.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011