How do you deal with a very active 6 year old without losing control because I'm at my wits end with this boy,somebody please help me?

momuv2933

Asked by momuv2933 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Something that always helps me . . . . I monitor my "heat" level and when my emotions start to turn red, I take a deep breath and then focus on giving love. So, instead of yelling, I try to pcik my child up and give them a super-long hug and kiss. It redirects both of us by calming us down and refocusing us.

Kids are super-tied into our stress level. When we are the most stressed, the kids will sense it and start to misbehave and increase activity level. . . . a lot of times, it is really US who needs the intervention.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Have house rules. Write and post them to make them more "real". Take away THE most important thing to him as punishment. Each child has that thing which is super important to him/her. Plus spend quality time with him so he gets positive attention so he doesn't go for the negative attention. Praise him when he does things right. You might set up a reward system for good behavior. Stickers (if he is into them) or points to earn small treats when he is exhibiting good behaior. My niece gave points and when her kids earned enough they went to the park, a local museum, out for ice cream, etc. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• These are both good answers. Also, RUN the heck out of that kid and get him moving. Boys need to literally move and exercise every day. There are times I actually ask mine to run laps up and down the stairs if it's raining!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• All above are great suggestions...another thing..is there a particular sport he is interested in. if so, see about getting him involved in it. It'll take care of some of that excess energy.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• What I do for a living is help wonderful moms with very active children with some parenting techniques to assist them in the day to day. And they report it helps greatly to talk to someone who gets it. I also talk to a professional to help me with my active four year old. He can be pinging off the walls. My husband also attends and we think it is money well spent. I only hope parents feel that way about me. It has been a life saver and a sanity saver.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Great advice you have here! Get him active, redirect your emotions! Also- this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0380811960/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I like the first answer, I think I'll try it. If you are not in control when he's 6, don't even think about 16. As far as discipline, whatever you use, be consistent with it.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You have received some great advice from the ladies above.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Being consistent and having clear boundaries and rules is the best way.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 6 year old son has autism and is very active so i can totally relate. Going to read advice for myself!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011