Need help with bridesmaid ideas.

The theme is beach. The attire is semi formal.

The guys are wearing black dress pants with short sleeve whitebutton up shirts...no ties, no vests, no jacket. They will be wearing a lei.

I will be in a formal gown.

I'm stuck on what my ladies should wear. One is around 5 ft tall and wears a size 14 (busty) will dress up but mostly likes jeans and t-shirts. the other is 5'10" not so busty but is still around a 16 have only seen her in jeans and t-shirts.

I don't want them to have to buy a $200 dress for this since they will be paying for it and I would like for them to use them again. I thought capris and top but that wouldn't match what they guys are wearing.
The shorter has no problem wearing a dress...the taller rarely wears them. I thought maybe a calf length.

HELP ladies! I could use your thoughts.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You could always take the girls to Kohl's or Target . .. let them look around and try out dresses. They won't be spending more than $40 . . . they usually have lots of different sizes of the same thing . . and they have plenty of beachy/casual spring dresses right now.

Nordstrom also, by the way, have a very good dress selection, but that will run you around $100 or more.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'd look into some sort of sarong that ties over the shoulder. It will work with both girls and can be dressy enough to match the guys and is also good for an island/beach wedding.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am a fan of symmetry. I do not like it when brides maids dresses are shorter than the brides dresses, nor do I care for it when the BM's dresses are totally different in length. I think something like this will work. It will cover up the arms but still look dainty and pretty without being too heavy. Also in regards to the lei. There are different ones specifically meant for a wedding. Having lived in Hawaii I've learned this =). I do suggest doing your research and not just having a flower lei made. They also vary per gender. GL

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Razelda

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You just need to find a dress at Penney's or Belks that comes in both their sizes that is beachy and inexpensive.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I skipped the bridesmaids altogether after hearing so many horror stories
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• To be honest, a gown that is the same on the top and different on the bottom would fit your situation perfectly or same on the bottom but different on the top. That's how my bridesmaids will be because some girls are bustier than others. Trust me, a knockout dress on one woman could be a disaster on the other. Good luck!
    cjordan86

Answer by cjordan86 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I let my chicks pick out their own dress. the only rules were that they had to be the same color and tea length. places like david's bridal has tons of different bridesmaid's dresses in different colors at different prices, so they can choose what they love AND what they can afford.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 6:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011