Growing a vegetable garden....

This will be my first year growing a vegetable garden! What are the easiest veggies to grow and easiest method?

When to start planting?
Resources for tips/tricks?

Thanks very much!

sendcheer

Asked by sendcheer at 6:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When to start depends on your area to make sure there are no more signs of a frost. Call or visit your local nursery or garden center for info. You can Gogle easy vegetables to plant and see some interesting links. I was going to send one but there were several. We grow tomatoes and feel it is pretty easy. When we had more property we grew cucumbers but if they do well they can really take up a lot of room. Have fun!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Google "square foot gardening", it's one of the easiest & most productive methods for gardening, either in raised beds or directly in the ground. There are a number of editions available & any of them will do, so don't worry about getting the latest version if your library has only one of the earlier ones (or wherever you choose to get a copy, if you do get a copy). Easy crops to start with are tomatoes, onions, potatoes, leaf lettuce, radishes and herbs like basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary & oregano, also any of the mints (but watch, they'll take over your garden). You could also experiment with strawberry plants & edible flowers, all of which are fairly easy to grow.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I also recommend the sq ft gardening books. I have two of them ~ the latest one includes vertical sq ft methods for anyone with limited space. My space isn't limited, but I garden fairly intensely. Last year I had cukes, melons, pumpkins, etc. on trellises (about $6 each) and for the first time ever didn't lose any to rot.

Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, salad veggies, carrots, etc. are all good choices. Also, it really does pay to learn at least a little about soil, compost, etc. The better your soil is, the better your garden will be. Even if your soil is poor you can add to it, use containers, etc. The nice thing is that you can find an answer to almost any problem you run into online (Dave's garden, yahoo groups, etc.) so try a few things that your family eats and have fun with it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and green beans are easy. Just make sure when to plant in your "zone" the U.S. is devided up into growing zones.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011