Thousands of U.S. Military and DOD evacuees to Return from Honshu, Japan

to Sea-Tac international airport. The Puget Sound USO says they are expecting 6700 U.S. personnel to arrive at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in coming days. According to Stars And Stripes. Military will chartering planes to bring the troops and families home. They (military) will not pay to bring pets home, this will be paid for by the troops. Thoughts?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm in Japan and staying. The evacuation is voluntary and it will help Japan to save/reallocate resources. Many of the people have medical needs which can no longer be provided in Japan. We are conserving energy, helping with clean-up and supporting our military members who are fulfilling their mission.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 6:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I hope they can all get their pets here.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Oh for the love of Pete! I wonder if there is a way to donate money for the pets. Stuff like this really ticks me off. We can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on turtle tunnels and clean tinky winky's, but we can't pay to ship a pet with it's military family during a crisis.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• This show brought tears to my eyes, and I found myself donating to the cause shortly after the show ended. Operation Baghdad Pups arranges for adopted pets to come home with troops who adopted/rescued them.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It must be worse than we thought if they are evacuating non essential people that are military

1) It's a voluntary evac
    2) with less us dependents there, that frees up more supplies and resources for the Japanese
    3) with dependents in their safe havens, military troop can better focus on their mission.
    Your speculative conclusion jumping fear mongering is sick.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Pets aren't dependents. All military families who are assigned overseas are well aware of the process during a NEO type voluntary/evacuation/ etc.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The Department of State has approved a voluntary authorized departure for military members dependents and DoD civilian dependents for a period not to exceed 30 days.

- The designated Safe Haven location is the west coast of the United States.

- Luggage: 2 suitcase per person, not to exceed 70 lbs each and 1 small carry on

- Pets: Up to 2 household pets are authorized per family
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 9:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Me too Carpy, I'm not sure of the cost, but I can find out.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• @vbruno, they can fly back on charters, the families have to pay to fly them back.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• tortkey, what about all their household goods? Are they just abandoned or does the military ship it back to the states?
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011