Exodus 20:4-6

Most of us know what it is but in reading it further (I am studying this pretty well) you will see that God commanded that no one is to make themselves an idol and no one should bow and worship these idols. God is a jealous god and will bring death upon those who do not obey his commandments but peace upon those who do keep them. Now, Jesus said he didn't come to change the commandments but he apparently say that the only way to heaven is to accept Jesus and that no one can go to the father except through faith in him. So...he did change it? We are worshiping Jesus or Mother Mary but didn't God go against this or is it ok because some believe Jesus to be God? If he is the son of God wouldn't it still be against the commandments to worship him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• (Oh, though, I wasn't trying to say its okay, merely that that's the way the thought process works. I don't believe we're *meant* to worship Jesus, though I'm not one to believe that God will "get you" for it, either... It makes me think of that Zen proverb : "When the wise man points at the moon, the fool looks at the finger..." if you get what I mean... Jesus points the way to God, IMO, but isn't meant to eclipse Him...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't believe Jesus was God, the son of God or the Messiah. I believe he was a wise, enlightened human being. Like Bandgeek said, Jesus 'points the way'. In Buddhism, there's a saying 'don't confuse the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself'. I believe Jesus showed us with way through his life, his good works, love, and compassion. I believe he meant HIS LIFE was the way when he said, 'I am the Way'. We need to look at his teachings and his life, and not mistake him for a deity to be worshiped. JMHO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I believe that Jesus is God made into flesh...John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

IMO, worshipping Jesus is worshipping God because they are one and the same.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 9:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• "or is it ok because some believe Jesus to be God? If he is the son of God wouldn't it still be against the commandments to worship him?"

Yup! That's where the Jesus=God thing comes in. Clever, huh? I personally don't believe it, but I don't worship Jesus either, so I don't find myself needing justification of that sort...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• rocking horsethe way the bible describes God makes him sound narcissistic.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree with the above
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I can see how that would work if you believe Jesus is god. I have no freaking idea why this went to anon either lol it was my post haha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No He didnt change it.. He fulfilled it. He was the sacrificial lamb that came and took upon Himself what we could not do and became a perpition (cannot remember the exact word) for us. In otherwords in the OT they could NEVER be free of sin... God knew that so He sent His Son to take care of those things once and for all so we would not have to ( meaning those who believe) .

As for worshiping Him it says this in the NT ... we still need to worship Him only and no other gods.
    Matthew 22:36-40 (New American Standard Bible)
    36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38"This is the great and foremost commandment. 39"The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' 40"On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, Jesus is God. I don't want to leave the Holy Spirit out of this either. God/Jesus/Holy Spirit are all one. Take an egg for instance. There is a shell, a white, and a yolk, but it's still one egg.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011