HOW DO U MAKE A GROCERY LIST?

I mad mine different when i was getting tired of the same stuff. I made a list of different meals that would last me for two weeks. I would write down one meal at a time so i could pick out different ones each time and have the ingeredances each meal need. It made it nice that way i didnt for get any thing and it mad me think of different meals to come up with, so now we have been having new dinners. The kids like it cause its new even if its chicken its made a different way or when we do have some thing from befor its not boaring because the kids havent had it for awhile. I mix my veg. in with noddles or rice to get the kids to eat them but they do LOVE corn on the cob with butter or mayo and cheese.

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I write down essentials that I'm running low on or use up as I use them, or if we decide we want a meal I don't have everything for I'll add that stuff. Then every Wednesday I sit down with the new store ads and make the rest of my list.
    Anonymous

• I google 4 ingredient recipes and come up with 3 meals for the week. Then I look for specific meals that will use the rest of the meat from the original 3 meals...like if 1 is made with chicken, I buy a whole bag of chicken and make another meal with what wasn't used.

I make sure to come up with 5 meals for the week. the other 2 days are free for all (pizza, breakfast for supper...) and the last one is take out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I group things together like the aisles of the store. That saves a lot of backtracking!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I sit down and think of what we are out of, meals I want to fix (and what I need for them) and I also go thru my coupons. When writing them on the sheet I try to group the items in order of where they are in the store (zb- fruit/veg first, then meat, and bread...). On the side of the paper I write down what meals I plan on fixing for the next 2 weeks -- that way I know what I am supposed to be buying for. I also make a mark by coupon items on the list so I remember to dig out and use that coupon at checkout time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• good idea, I plan what we are having each month by what my new cooking magazines have in them. I subscribe to food&Wine, Bon appetit, Cooking light, Sunset and I pick out all our meals from those pages. We are always experimenting in our house.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• write down what we need and are out of and then plan the meals and pick up that stuff also
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I plan my menu based on the amount of time I'll have to cook on a given day. For instance, if DD has a dr's appt at 4pm, it's obviously not a day for pot roast in the oven. I cook for one day of leftovers, so I plan accordingly. I also use the grocery store flyers when I plan so I can buy things like meat on sale. It might be a great week for pork tenderloin, but not so much for ground turkey.

After I have a couple of main ingredients figured out, I decide what I can make with those items, then fill in the list with the necessary ingredients, plus any staples that we're running low on.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 8:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I just base my list off of what I used or what I might want to eat or a new recipe I'd like to try. I have a picky eater so I have to make sure my like includes my six year old...lol!!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 9:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I menu plan and my grocery list comes from what I need for my menu.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I just try and go by a menu plan
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2011