What kind of a car can you get for....

about 5000 dollars? I am looking for a used car I know NOTHING at all about cars. Should you be able to get a decient car for that much (heat, air, just running without millions of problems). Would you go to a used car lot or buy from a owner out of the iwanta or craigslist? Thanks any help is good also what year car should I be looking for for that much money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Shopping

• 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Graet vehicle, always dependable. Buy privately. Dealers are VULCHERS!!!
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 6:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i went to a website kind of like craigslist but it was just for that one state, spent $3500 on a Lincoln Navigator - which is sweet..
    sometimes it is so much nicer to buy private own.. you can get it soo much cheaper that one. if you were to go to a dealer they would over charge and extra charges an such..
    in my opinion.. GOOD LUCK!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It all depends. It will probably be at least 10 years old, and have more than 50,000 miles on it.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 7:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm buying a 1998 Jimmy for $2,000 and my boyfriend is gonna fix it up for me. (It's his car) It has a lot of miles on it though but it's a nice vehicle.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I bought my first car in 1999. It was a 1997 Nissan Sentra with 27,000 miles. It was in IMMACULATE condition, though it did have a rebuilt title. I eventually sold it in 2004 to a friend and the car was still living with mediocre work done to it around 2006. It was fully loaded and was an automatic. Everything was absolutely showroom pristine.

I paid $6,500.

The only reason the car had a rebuilt title was because it was in a flood. I suggest looking into cars that have been rebuilt and do take someone with you that knows about cars.

I'd go through a private seller, such as a mechanic or average person. I'd avoid dealerships as they will overcharge you.

With the right resources and if you spend some time searching, you CAN find a fantastic car. Most people turn their nose up to a rebuilt title, but I didn't and I loved it. Just avoid cars with a rebuilt title that have been in wrecks. That is bad juju.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Oh, and NEVER pay the asking amount for a car. The car I purchased was listing at 8,000 and we (my sisters husband and I) talked the guy down 1,500. Bringing CASH with you will help lure them in, but do be careful carrying around 5,000.

If you tell them you want to spend 6,000 and then have 5,000 on you... chances are 5,000 will do the trick. Flashing cash makes sellers eyes go "ooh la la" and it will help them see things your way =).

You should realistically be able to take off at least 500 of the asking price with any car you're interested in buying.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It depends on the year.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You can get a nice car for $5000.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I hate car shopping
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2011