5 year old always eating... What do i do

you described my 5 year old. she goes to school so sher doesnt eat breakfast at home. they eat breakfast at 830am then around 1130 they eat lunch and eat snack around 2. she gets home off the bus screaming shes hungry but doest bug them at school about being hungry. she she screams "hungry" until i get supper cooked. we eat supper between 5 and 6. my kids are cut off drinks at 630 because they refuse to go potty in the middle of the night. on weekends when both kids are at home they get up around 730ish and scream hungry from then until bedtime. I feed them breakfast,lunch,snack, and supper. I tell them to go play outside when its nice outside but they refuse. they want to be up under me 24/7 but then wants to watch TV all day. i usually give in the to TV because i get sick of them whinning about wanting to eat or watch tv. I have a limited budget when i buy groceries so I cant buy a whole lot of food. do i need to get a menu and try it for them for when i buy groceries next? if i fix something different for them they we wont be able to eat because of limited budget. i cook alot of chicken and they LOVE spagetti but i cant cook spagetti every night of the week. When my 5year old also eats she wants to go back for 2nds and thirds. shes constantly wanting to eat. my husband is the same way and when i say something to him about eatting all the time he gets mad and says " i buy the food i can eat if i want". I deal with these kids everyday. he works shift work so alot of days he never sees them. i honestly dont know what to do

cnetlady

Asked by cnetlady at 7:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Kids eat when they're hungry. If she's not overweight then I wouldnt worry about it. They go through all sorts of growth spurts when they're young and eat like bottomless ptts. Let her eat when she's hungry.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 7:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I cant afford to let her eat like that. After we pay bills i usually have 130 to put gas in my car and to feed all 4 of us for 2 weeks
    cnetlady

Comment by cnetlady (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree with the PP. My son who is four does the same thing. But he isnt over weight. So the doctor says to just let him eat when he wants to.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would not worry about it too much at her age. She is growing. My dd had a very healthy appetite from 4-9, was what one would call chunky. Then at 9 got her menstrual cycle, and has been losing weight ever since. People often ask us if she has an eating disorder, if she is anorexic? Offer her as many healthy foods as you can, I know it is tough on a tight budget - and plenty of water. Good luck.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• she drinks plenty of water and i offer her healthyy foods but usually refuses to eat and then says " im not hungry now" i have been trying to find a job so I can help buy groceries for the huose since she loves to eat constantly. i think she eats cuz shes bored but refuses to play. she wants to watch tv all the time when shes at home. We cant get food stamps because my husband makes too much money but when you are buying a house and a car and paying all bills yourself, that money doesnt go far at all. and with gas 4 dollars a gallon with the nearest everything 30 miles away or more, its hard. there are no jobs around here period. i have went to college and got a degree and still cant find a job
    cnetlady

Comment by cnetlady (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would say buy a bunch of apples and oranges. That is what I finally did. Occasionally I buy kiwis and plums etc... Anyways mine are always starving too. I just say, if you are hungry go grab and apple or an orange...if they don't take me up on that then obviously they aren't 'really' hungry. If they keep on and on then obviously they are tired and I will send them to bed regardless of what time it is. Just my two cents.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 7:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'd let her have a healthy snack after school. Turn off the TV and insist they go outside. You can go with them. Take a ball with you or get a ring toss game, etc so they get some time outside. Look up online what some low calorie snacks are and have them available. We used to set up snacks in the frig/cabinet and everyone had their share. When it was gone it was gone. It taught them to make it last from one grocery shopping to the next. Tell them the new rules and stick to them even through any complaining. But be a part of it, too, not just the "heavy".
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks for the advice. i go buy groceries the end of this week for 2 whole weeks. I will try to reasearch healthier meals and buy more fruits.
    cnetlady

Comment by cnetlady (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• here's one link with snack ideas.  There are others if you google it.  But you want healthy low calorie snacks.  I noticed popcorn on the list.  it's a great snack but it needs to be salt free, butter free.........just plain pop corn.  Good luck!!

http://www.womenandweight.com/weight-management/weight-loss/28-healthy-low-calorie-snack-foods-to-go/

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011