Is it bad that my 9 and 10 y/o girls don't know how to ride a bike??

It's not that they don't have one, but no where to ride it. I and their dad have tried to each them but they just never learned. Well our new house has a great culdesac where they can ride.  It's spring break and I would love to try and teach them how.  Any tips?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 7:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• DD learned at 5, ds at 4. Tips- go to a grassy feild, so if they fall off it wont hurt. Thats what I did with dd. With ds, I just took off his training wheels(he wanted to ride like his sister) and pushed him down the road and told him to pedal, fast! It took about 20 mins. Make sure they have helmets!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• my 8 yr old doesnt know how yet either, and it did take his brother forever too, i like he was almost 9, i think some kids just take longer, my sons problem is he is so afraid of falling.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Each child is different and there is no reason for concern over when they learn to do things, as long as they learn to do them. My son was 8 when he learned and my daughter was 6. There are all sorts of reasons for the timing of their learning, just have fun teaching them!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don;t think theres really a problem, maybe she doesn't like to ride bikes yet, she'll get on a bike when she;s ready. my daughters friend doesn't like bikes either and she's 16yrsold. And know she's getting ready to drive a car. And she never rode a bike in her live. .And my daughter is still on her bike and hopes to work on her car next year. and she's 15yrs. but my daughter been on a bike since she was 6, but that was because all her friends had bikes. Don't worry her time will come.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Considering I'm 30 and I can't, no I don't think its bad. Just start them and it will all work out.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I learned to ride when I was 5, my brothers were 5 and 6. My ds is 5 and we're going to teach him this summer. I'm going to follow in how my dad taught me. He took off the training wheels, and took me to an open, non-busy, parking lot that was free of cracks and uneven pavement. Stuck me in a helmet, held on to the seat and said peddle, then let go when I was going fast enough. I landed in a bush once, but I was riding my bike within 20 minutes, same with my brothers. It helps to also wear either long sleeves long pants the first time, so falls don't hurt as much. Or if it's too hot for the clothes knee and elbow pads just until they aren't falling so much. This spring we're taking DS's training wheels off and see how he does. He's more nervous about things then I was as a kid so he might not "get it" as fast, but if we don't try we'll never know
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If the reason is that they just never had anywhere to really practice and learn then no it isn't gad. If they have been given the opportunity to learn and haven't then it could be balance issues and that needs to be addressed. At age 4 my son could have done it himself, ,but he didn't feel confident enough to try so we waited until the next summer and we moved his training wheels all the way up. One day I told him to listen to how often his training wheels actually touched when he rode when he told me he couldn't do it. He did. Well he had a bike without training wheels and I went in to go pee and come out and he is flying around on his two wheel bike and hasn't looked back since! Good luck. I would make sure they have helmets and just take the training wheels off. Then should have the balance and it shouldn't take long to figure it out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Not bad, just odd. My dd's 11yo friend can't ride a bike because she was never allowed to spend time outside riding. Every moment of her day is scheduled or spent inside since her mother/gramma was too busy to take her outside and they wouldn't allow her out without an adult.
    We told her we'd teach her one day (she was 9 and my 8yo dd had just learned) but her gramma said no because she was going on vacation later that week and they didn't want her to fall and break something. Huh?
    The best way I've seen is to just let them figure it out themselves. Take the training wheels off, show them how to balance with their feet sticking out away from the bike so when they tilt their foot catches them and then let them go. That's how my now 8yo dd learned at 6 (courtesy of her best friend...I had nothing to do with it). At that age they should be able to figure it out pretty quick.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, but try to teach them. My 7 year old will be 8 Friday, and she's begging me to remove her training wheels.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011