New Dog

I have a 2 part question. Same dog. We just got a dog about 2 months ago. He is roughly 6mons old. He is a Chiquaqua/Daushaund mix. #1 question is: We use puppy pads but I want to get him off of them. We live in an apt complex and he gets so distracted when he goes out until he spends all his time barking at people and all of the sounds he hears. Therefore once again he poops inside because he did nothing outside....Question #2....How do I stop this same dog from running up on people and barking at them,he is not going to do anything but sniff them but the growling and charging at them is startling to them.

sondaughter312

Asked by sondaughter312 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pets

• That's actually common for dogs of any age! It will just come with learning and time. My dog is an older dog and he still gets distracted by that stuff! First, he needs to know what outdoor time means... I am no Dog Whisperer, but I would make sure to take him first thing in the morning. Walk him somewhere where there is no other dog. Let him sniff around and he will eventually catch on. After he potties, give him a treat and praise him. Take him back inside. Take him back outside a little later on specifically for play time... then again every couple of hours for potty. Also, there are books on how to potty train your doggy... you might pick up a copy to see what is recommended...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think you mean Chihuahua. lol

Anyway, I personally would start crate training. Put him on a feeding achedule if you haven't already. Keep him in the crate at night, then take him outside first thing in the morning (on leash; in your post it sounds like you are just allowing him to run wild). If he potties, bring him back inside and feed him breakfast. If he doesn't potty, put him back in the crate for 10 minutes then take out again. Keep doing this until he potties outside then praise him. Each time you take him out to potty, follow these steps. Take him out atleast once an hour. If he has an accident in the house, don't punish him because 9 times out of 10 it is the human's fault for not noticing the signs. If you catch him in the act, immediately pick him up and take him outside. Anytime you can't watch him like a hawk, put him in the crate.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My neighbor across the alley has chiquaquas and they r totally wild!!!! But,she has 22 of them!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have no idea what a chiquaqua is. But, collinbaylee mom gave you some great advice.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Small dogs are very difficult to potty train. If he is trained on the puppy pads, I'd keep them around, to be honest. Small dogs = small bladder. My old dachshund was never fully potty trained. He had lots of accidents, not because he didn't know better, but because he really lacked the ability to hold it. Crate training a small dog is a very good option. They usually respond very well to that method. As far as getting a small dog not to bark, oh wouldn't we all be happy if we could take the small dog complex away from the small dogs. Keep socializing him. The more people he is around, the better he will behave around people. Avoid annoying kids like the plague, they'll only make him worse. I allow the barking in my small dog to a certain extent. I want to know if there is a stranger coming up to my house. I don't want him barking non-stop while I'm trying to talk to a friend that has stopped by.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011