My 14 month old has started screaming. is this a stage? Is he trying to communicate? help.

catrow

Asked by catrow at 7:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm...thats a toughy. It could just be for attention maybe...
    kool-aidbabe

Answer by kool-aidbabe at 8:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Started screaming when? He could be tired, hungry, bored, cold, wanting attention, discovering volume control. It could be any number of things. If he's just screaming for no apparent reason he's probably discovering his own voice and volume control and finds it funny. If he's starting to throw tantrums he's learning he can express frustration. Children's minds and comprehension develop before language, so at 14 months he might be thinking to himself "mom I'm starving" but he doesn't have the vocabulary to tell you this. Thus why many children seem frustrated or angry often. Or he could be thinking, whoa, what was that noise, that was loud... and do it again for entertainment. Either way see if you can figure out what those screams mean, and then you can handle the situation accordingly.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My 16 month old does this too. Sometimes it is like ba13ygrl1987 said, "He's deicovering his own volume control" My daughter doe sit in her room when she is playing alone and then she laughs. She is like me and likes to hear the sound of her own voice! lol. Sometimes it is out of frustration like when we are out and I wont let her walk when she wants to, or when she is trying to tell me something she wants and I say "no" or simply can't understand her. It is a phase it will pass. Most toddlers I know scream often. They are just learning to express themselves and how others will react when they do things. If it bothers you just calmly tell him screaming hurts mommy's ears and should only be done outside. Tell him when inside he needs to use an inside voice. (Don't yell for him to stop then it will turn into a screaming contest) Good luck. I'm going through the same thing I know its tough but it will pass : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2011