When is a good time for a dog?

I'm a new mother and my daughter is due on June 10th, and my fiance and I were wondering when is a good time for a dog. We want a big dog like a german shepherd and usually this decision isn't a big deal but being new parents, we wouldn't know what to expect in regards to a dog and a baby. For those of you who have dogs, and kids, what did you do to decide and make the decision process easier?

cjordan86

Asked by cjordan86 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Since this is your first baby most definitely wait. A new baby is overwhelming and exhausting, yes its fabulous too, but seriously, you will be more exhausted than you ever have in your entire life. Have the baby, and devote your time to her. You will not want to deal iwth a puupy or a dog and the demands they have as a new mom.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Get a dog only when you can honestly take care of it AND the baby, or rather 6-8 y.o child. Dogs need to be walked or let out and in many times a day. Toddlers tend to be abusive, not in a mean way, but dogs dont like getting ears pulled and little fingers poked into eyes and ear and such. Nor do they usually like being layed upon. Then consider the baby being asleep and the dog barking and waking the baby up. That will make you want to strangle the dog. Wait till the baby is old enough to know the difference of play and being mean, and can help you with feeding and walking. Your really going to have a full plate with a baby and home to take care of plus your man..
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well, we have 5 kids 8,4,5,1, and a 3 month old, and we had both our dogs by hild # 3! they are part of my family so I never really thought about it! I fully trained them while pregnant, and have no isue doing it all, so it depends on YOU!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Don't get a dog until the kids are a little older for your sake. They are a lot of work. You have to find someone to watch them or a Kennel if you want to take a vacation. Need food and water everyday. Then the baby starts crawling and tries to eat the dog food. You spend a lot of time picking up the dog bowls then putting them back when the dog needs water and drink. I have 2 big dogs and a cat. My baby was raised with my Siberian already in the house. Thank goodness he was tolerant of her climbing on him and poking him. Probably the best baby sitter I ever had. But, I stayed home and had time for it.
    Babs151

Answer by Babs151 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011