If you are pro-life are you against fertility treatments?

Not to beat a dead horse, I'm just curious?
Do these children NOT deserve to live because without help from medicine they would not be conceived? Is the mother creating abortions because she is having "babies" created in test tubes that may not implant into the uterine wall?
Just so you know? I am as pro-choice as they come.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I'm prolife and against In Vitro Ferlization.

However I'm okay with IUI (where they make the sperm get closer to the egg)

My dh and I had infertility but fortunately got pg on our own, but there's no way we would ever do IVF.

I am okay with the GIFT procedure though but hardly any dr's do it.
    Anonymous

• What is the GIFT procedure?
    TwocutiesMumma

Answer by TwocutiesMumma at 2:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It's where they remove your eggs, mix it with sperm and then put the mixture in your fallopian tubes. It's invasive, like a laporoscopy. They used to do it alot in the 90's but don't anymore. It does have the same success rate as IVF though. I think there's only one dr that does them often, he's in Arizona. www.acfs2000.com

There's also the ZIFT procedure where they fertlize the egg and put it right into your tubes instead of letting it sit in a petri dish for a few days.
    Anonymous

• If the fertility implant is unsuccessful, I do not think it can even be called abortion because the woman was never pregnant. Many natural cases of conception are failed before the woman even knows she is pregnant. I don't consider those to be abortions either.

Personally, I'm against fertility treatments. I think people should look into adoption.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i have a lot of mixed emotions about fertility treatments.
    on the one hand my heart goes out to couples who are unable to conceive. i think it's very unfortunate.
    however, i also don't agree with the way ivf is done. hormonal treatments are one thing but, and not to use a tired phrase, but some procedures are like playing god.

ultimately, i would adopt instead of using ivf but it's not my place to say what anyone else should and shouldn't do.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am 100% pro-life but neutral on fertility treatments. I've had a couple of IUIs myself. I believe that God gives us remarkable minds to use and if helping couples have babies is one of those uses, then I say give glory to God.

Of course we also adopted too, and I wish more couples would consider that as well as expensive fertility options.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 5:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy, sometimes IVF is the only way a couple will ever parent a child with the exception of adoption.
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 5:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It technically in abortion because conception has already taken place...therefore causing an abortion by pro-life standards. IUI also requires the use of drugs to produce multiple eggs but does not garuantee that these eggs attach even though they may be fertilized under many circumstances. Take Jon and Kate Gosselin for instance...do you think God intended for six fetuses to attach even though it could have caused harm to mother and baby. (She used IUI, but had follicle stimulation).
    TwocutiesMumma

Answer by TwocutiesMumma at 5:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Our bodies even flush out fertilized eggs when we are TTC (about 20% of the time), so if God intended for life to begin at conception why does this happen? I'm just looking for affirmation, because I've always believed that life began at implanation...
    And shouldn't you be telling people IVF is wrong if you are pro-lfe and having protest at fertility clinics because technically they are killing babies...their own babies that they want to have.
    I wish adoption were more popular too...and I am a child of a couple that had infertility.
    TwocutiesMumma

• I am not sure how I feel about not getting pregnant the NORMAL way. I realize there are many couples that would love to have children and for whatever reason are unable to conceive. I always thought that was God's way of having the unwanted children adopted. Abortion is a topic that turns into an ugly fight all the time and I, for one, think it is none of my business what another woman decides to do with her body. That is her business and her choice. I was not born to be the abortion police.
    Anonymous