My cat is driving me INSANE!!!

So I think my male cat can sense that I'm pregnant, and is jealous. If not I don't know what his recent deal is. He's CONSTANTLY trying to lay on my stomach, and it hurts. He never used to lay there so it's not like the baby replaced his spot or anything. I consistently tell him no and just move him off to the side, but eventually I get annoyed and pretty much gently toss him away. He's not a mean cat by any sense of the word, but he's actually hissed at me several times when I've tried to move him. He's also waking me up in the middle of the night because he waits till I fall asleep, then tries to climb up there. And the pressure wakes me up, so I have to toss him off and can't fall back asleep. I don't know what to do to get him to stop. He's an indoor/outdoor cat and I'm ready to make it strictly outdoors. I don't want to because he's such a sweet cat, but I need to get a nights sleep where I'm not being made uncomfortable by a pet. Help!

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pets

• put something next to you thats higher than your stomach...maybe a pillow next to your stomach. cats like to be up high and feel like they are king. im sure the kitty likes being next to you and right now your stomach is just the highest mountain to him..maybe a pillow will help =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Maybe you could cage him at night so you can sleep? Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Why cage him???? Cats hate that.
    I assume you have a door to your room, just toss him out and close it so he can't get into your room.
    My cat has been the same way since I conceived but I've just been ignoring it and since I'm not showing yet I still sleep on my stomach and toss and turn to much for her lol.
    Maybe in a few weeks he will calm down.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I assume you have a door to your room, just toss him out and close it so he can't get into your room.

I would, but I've permanently moved to the couch due to severe back pain. My bed hasn't been even remotely comfortable since about 4-5 weeks ago. I don't want to cage him though, so I don't know hopefully he'll get over it I guess. It's getting warmer out though so if he doesn't I think he's just going to stay out at nights. He enjoys it outside, I just don't enjoy the fleas he brings home.
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't think he's trying to be mean! I think he's trying to calm the baby down so you can sleep. Cat purrs and warmth is calming. I wish you the best.. My Cat knows I'm having a migraine before I do!! Also are you seeing a good OB?? There isn't anything wrong? Does your cat act like something is wrong and is trying to warn you! They have some exceptional senses!! Best of luck to you and your happy family.Please is he safe outside? I lost a black cat, Krammer on Friday the 13th of August before my surgery. He was hit by a car. I'd do anything to bring him back! It was right before my biggest surgery & my birthday. I'm worried about his safety of being outdoors. But you have to also do what's best for your health and rest.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• He's a pretty smart cat. I can't say with 100% certainty he wouldn't get hit by a car, but he's never darted out in front of one, nor does he hang out in the street. Typically he lays in our bushes, rubs up against our fence, or chases our other female cat around. Both are fixed, but he likes to antagonize her. Both of them will actually sit at the door meowing at times, and scratching to go out. This past winter I was ready to slice my ears off because I wouldn't let them out when it was below freezing, and they both wouldn't stop meowing for days! Everything with the baby has been good so far, some bed rest earlier but it's been lifted for 2 months now. The pillow is a good idea, I might try that. I really wouldn't mind if it didn't cause me pain for him to be there, but any pressure on my stomach causes discomfort and sometimes cramps. Baby is measuring big for her gestation, so I'm sure that's why. Thanks Ladies :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• He probably just likes yout tummy because it is soft and warm =) When I first got my cats they HAD to be on the counter. Someone will probably hate me for this... but I trained them with a squirt bottle and clapping. When they got on the counter I would clap my hands to startle them, then give them a squirt of water on the butt. They not only learned to not jump on the counter, but also whenever they misbehave, I just clap my hands (don't have to use the bottle anymore) and they correct themselfs.

However, I don't know if you would really want to try this method. After giving birth you may enjoy having the cat on your lap and it would be hard and confusing for your cat to untrain.
    brenatens

Answer by brenatens at 9:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011