I got a question about a live in nanny.............am I paying her enough?

I got a question about a live in nanny.............Between the room and board and car she has a bout a 1900 a month alwance. we do not giver her any cash.
she is working about 35-45 hours a week. do u think this is fair?
I have never had a live in nanny before......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't think that's fair. Several of my friends have live ins and they pay them a small salary in addition to the room/board. There are small incidentals she needs to buy! (ie tampons, deodorant, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• ok quys anyone out there?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• so how mush of a small salary?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You can get an idea of what nannies make in your area by looking at care.com. Use the pulldowns to see the job categories and then search by zipcode. Look at both jobs posted and people looking for jobs to get an idea of what they make.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You should pay her something other then room and board. This is her full time job and she will need to buy some things for herself. How much would really depend on the cost of living where you are.
    brenatens

Answer by brenatens at 9:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She needs to be paid. They are paid quite well above the room and board.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• missanc how much is small?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• thank you this has helped.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No, thats not enough. You should be paying her enough that if you were not not need her assistance any longer she has enough saved to place herself into an apartment and be able to surive for long enough until she finds her next job- Though I make less than 1900 a month I get payed CASH, not by a room and food and access to a car.
    Can she use the car "off the clock" to go do whatever? if so, how does she pay for those off the clock outings?
    If she is unable to use the car off the clock than the car shouldn't even be part of her "payment" because she is only using it for her job- I don't pay for a company vehicle, insurance, gas, or otherwise- But I also can't take it for anything other than my job-
    I got payed room and board and I also was payed 860 dollars a month on top of that-
    I also worked for another family and I was provided a car (to which Icould use for anything,even after hours) and R/B and was payed 300 COT
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• extra a month- also had a contract drawn up that IF my services wern't needed within a 6 month period I would be provided severance pay of 2000 to get started in an apartment. After the 12 month period I would get a raise to 600 a month with no severance pay.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011