How do you deal with other people's kids?

Do you ever find yourself playing out side with your children just to have all of the other little kids in the neighborhood come over and constantly try to play with you & have all your attention? I don't mind other peoples kids but there are 4 kids in the neighborhood who really are just rude and try to play with me while I'm playing with my kids. I'm also talking about kids who are 3-5 years of age, outside, alone, parent's nowhere in sight! I've gotten to the point where I ask them where is your mother? She should be playing baseball with you or blowing bubbles with you.
How do you deal with that? or does anyone else have this problem?
We also live in a townhouse so there is no fence to keep anyone out. We have a shed in the back which I have to keep locked 'cause the other kids get in the shed & have taken things too. It's just crazy.

jfblaine83

Asked by jfblaine83 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally I would take my kids and the neighbor kids and walk them over to their house and knock on the door. I would politely tell the mom something like "I just found Johnny outside by himself and thought you were probably worried so I brought him back." If she doesn't get the hint after doing that a couple times then I would flat out tell her that you are not a babysitter and would like to spend some time with your own children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That's crazy! I do the same thing tho- I will play w the kids for a few minutes once or twice but then I start asking where their mom or dad is. I'm busy enough with my kids I don't need to watch other people's kids without them asking me first!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• First of all, how old is your child??? I do have a similar situation but I don't mind it at all because my kids are interacting with oter kids and they are hving fun. Now, you need to talk to their parents and explain to them that it's a responsibility on yor part to keep an eye on everybody especially when you have a young one or you're a new mom. But don't talk to the children.
    diet7up

Answer by diet7up at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• This is hard because you do not want to tee off your neighbors. I tell the kids they need to go home, because we are having family time.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My kids are 3 & 5. It wouldn't bother me if they interacted with my kids, but they are more interested in interacting with me. I can tell they are starving for mommy attention the way they act with me. They tell me everything under the sun about their day. What I really dont like about it is they are taking time away from me & my kids by trying to demand my attention. And one little girl is just super rude. She will ask me to play ball, but then she will throw that ball like not even close to me and then laugh & say Ha Ha you didn't get it. I'm like ok little girl have some manners.
    jfblaine83

Comment by jfblaine83 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree with aeneva.. I say your fine with your kids playing with them and you dont care playing with them either and neither would I but it has to be hard keeping your eyes on that many kids and making sure no one gets hurt.. And if something were to happen ( by accident )you would probably be the one they would try and blame not themselves for not watching their own kids
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I do usually take kids home or send them home after a little while~
    But from social workers/police, I have been told to keep a log of who, what, where, and when.
    Keep track of some details in a notebook and be ready to call children's services when I feel it's Time.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Tricky situation. Could you nicely say, "Sorry Sweetie, I can't play with you now." and then ignore them (trying not to be mean...)

My neighbors have kids who are roughly 5 and 7, and these are the most extroverted kids I've met in a long time. EVERY time they see me they are all over me - trying to tell me stories about their day or show me new tricks or whatever. And I know they do get time with their parents, but the kids just seem to enjoy constant attention... which is probably why their parents send them out to play by themselves (trying to teach the kids to entertain themselves). I've had some luck at getting them off my back by being blunt but nice "Honey, I need to talk privately to this person right now, can you go over there and play?"

Or you can just run when you see them... :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011