How to handle a blended family with husband suffering from depression, stepson with recent diagnosed of Aspergers and Daughter who may have ADD and a narcissist ex (stepson’s mother) any suggestions on how to stay sane?

I married my husband knowing his depression, loving my stepson as my own but not realizing the responsibility because of their disorders would affect my daughter directly as my husband still has not bonded with my daughter and my stepson is showing signs of Aspergers. How do I continue to hold on without running away? We just married in January but have been living together for two years prior. And his ex is a narcissist who does not care about anything but hating me. NO really, every action and word is against me even though I tried to befriend her. My daughters stepmother and I have a wonderful relationship we are really good friends and are open about everything so that our daughter can have the best life...but my stepsons mother is a psycho who involves him in adult topics and cares nothing about his disorder. My husband has been hiding behind his depression but I am done with it as he has been making breakthroughs and is now just realizing the responsibility put upon me. I was a single mother with one daughter. Now I am a single mother with two kids and a husband who acts like one. Any suggestions? Help? Knowledge?

We are all in therapy and the husband just finally made a breakthrough but he has a very long road ahead of him.  I just wanted to know if there were any others suffering from such issues ALL AT ONCE and that I am not the only lucky one :)  There is love in our family when everyone is on their good days sigh.  Maybe I should just write a book...I could call it "Disorders and Issues to look for when considering blending a family and how to survive them" Well I got the first part down.  Just need help on the surviving...

VeganQueenLower

Asked by VeganQueenLower at 8:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• **hugs*** first, dont worry about the ex. obviously you are doing much better with her son than she ever did and she is jealous for that. your husband may be depressed because he feels like he lacks control. support him as best as you can and get him to counseling and therapy. aspergers is high functioning autism, read everything you can about it and start getting him into a special autism school to help with his meltdowns, communication, ocd, etc. your daughter (depending on her age) may not have ADD, but needs attention and is crying for help. im sure all of you are in need of help. good schedules, dinner around the table, fun activities for the kids, that cater to their own learning, will bring the chaos down a notch. GL i hope that helps a lil bit. if you wanna chat, just PM me in open for venting:)
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Man O man. Sorry but you made me feel better about my own so not perfect life. All I can suggest is support groups and counseling for yourself AND them. {{{hugs}}}
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Sounds like a lot to have on your plate. You need to have your husband start seeing someone to address his depression. The whole family could also benefit from some counseling sessions.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011