Should I give my cat wet food?

I was told by vet to NOT give my cats wet food because it rots their teeth. Now that I have moved my new vet is saying my cats need wet food to provide moisture in their diet... I guess water doesn't count as moisture... What do you (or you vet) think???

brenatens

Asked by brenatens at 8:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pets

• they should get wet food ONCE a day, and all other meals should be dry
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Not unless you want them to have runny poop and wipe their butts on your furniture and blankets.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i worked with cat and i would give both as cat that are only on meat teeth tend to rot but cats that are only on dry tend to get cystise or pee problems
    and never ever ver give milk uless your cat not pooing then give them milk lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i've had cats my entire life, long and short haired, they've ALL had wet food (this is roughly 13 cats, my dad was a huge cat person) and none of them had runny poop or dingleberries
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Sounds like your vet may be trying to sell you a pricey wet food only the vet sells. Water and dry food give the cat ALL they need in their diet. Wet food does rot teeth and cause gum infections in some cats. BUT....Wet food contains allot of ash which is toxic to cats over time and kills your cat faster than dry food only.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I give it to my cat two to three times a week, maybe less depending on things. It's more of a treat then something she expects to get daily. My vet said the amount I give her is fine.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Our cat gets wet food once every 2 weeks as a treat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have three cats and they get can every day ... of course, it is 1/3 of 1/4 of a can. If you have just one cat, give him 1/4 of a can a day.

When I took one of them to the vet recently for a urinary tract blockage, the vet gave him both can and dry. Said to make sure he got some can food every day.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think you should. We only gave my cat dry. He died from kidney failure. My sister said we should have given him wet food too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i give my cat both
    shadowia

Answer by shadowia at 2:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2011