How to destress when kids piss me off?

Lately, I have been getting stressed out from my children. Don't get me wrong, I love them and they are just being normal kids. I don't feel I should be getting that stressed. I have been just getting annoyed at little things they do. Some things I have discovered is put those things away they get into; baby wipes, my papers. Here is some other things I thought I try:

1. Just take a breather, realize and affirm myself they are just being happy kids
2. Make a joke, use humor in the situation.
3. Look at the bright side of it

Any other coping strategies you use in the midst of a situation that annoyed/pisses you off when with the kids.

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes I give myself a timeout! lol. Go to my room, and watch a show while my four year old plays in his room.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• drink a beer or 2..maybe a glass of wine...let them tear the house to shreds while you enjoy yourself and then deal with the shit in the morning
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Take a bath with the radio on. Step outside and scream. Write it all down. Count to ten thousand (never works for me). Make your husband take them out of the house for an hour. Buy some fugly dishes at Value Village and smash them in the garage.

1......2......3.......I will not kill my kids.....4.......5......6.....I will not kill my kids.......7.....8......This isn't working.....9........10......

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I love my kids to pieces but there ARE those days when I fully understand why animals in the wild eat their young.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Always best to look on the bright side. Kids WILL be kids afterall, and they grow up TOO fast today. Enjoy them while you can.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yep, sometimes I just have to call it a day, and deal with it all the next day when I'm refreshed and rejuvenated. I only have one, and typically he's a really good kid and we have little issues. But when he has a bad day, watch out! And usually by about diner time on those days I just can't deal anymore, and I stop caring about all the little things. If he's not in danger, and being respectful, I don't fuss. The 1 toy at a time rule goes out the window, I let him watch a movie, if he's picking healthy snacks, like yogurt, I don't argue. I usually end up spending the entire next day cleaning and restocking the fridge, but I think sometimes everyone needs a break. And as long as they're safe, and it's once in awhile, then retreat to another room, kick up your feet, and deal with it all the next day.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Put some space between you and the kids. Sometimes I will just tell them they need to "get off my radar", and they know that they better go somewhere they cannot be seen or heard for a few minutes LOL! Honestly, it is not a punishment to them, they just go to the toy room and play with something while I clean or read in peace for a few minutes. By the time they emerge, I've usually forgotten I was so irritated.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2011