How long should I take off for maternity leave?

AndiAK

Asked by AndiAK at 9:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• As long as you can get from them and as long as you can afford. They are only small little ones for a very short time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was working retail when I had my son. I took my maternity leave like I thought I was allowed, only to find out that that store would only allow 6 weeks maternity leave, or 8 weeks with a doctor's note due to complications. I was already over that 8 week limit so I quit effective the date of my son's birth. He's now 7 1/2, his sister is 4 and I don't regret my decision at all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was working from home at two weeks, part time in the office at four weeks, full time at eight weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• FMLA gives you 12 weeks. I took all 12. with my first I was able to be a SAHM for 18 months, but after the economy crashed I had to go back to work and I was pregnant with our 2nd so I took all 12 weeks and I still wish it could have been more =(
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• However long you want & can afford to. No one but you & your s/o (if you have one) can make that decision.
    Anonymous

• Thanks :) My boss told me that FMLA gives me 12 weeks and encouraged me to take as long as I want/need. It seemed like a long time at first but you're right, I should spend as much time as I can with him while he's young!
    AndiAK

Comment by AndiAK (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It goes by quickly!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• unfortunately my husband is out of work at the end of my pregnancy so i will only be able to take 4 weeks as long as i dont have any complications
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• however long you want to... with my first i told them i was taking the full 12 weeks, then changed my mind once she came and went back a bit earlier, but only "part time"... with my second i was a SAHM for 26 months... with my third, i only work part time (and very part time, about 9 hours per week)... you have to do what works for you
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011