My 15 year old daughter wants to dye her hair?

My daughter is 15 and recently asked me if she could dye her hair golden medium blonde. I feel that saying yes to this would be promoting a bad self image, making her think she's not good enough without highlights. She told me she doesn't feel that I would be saying that. What should I do? Thank you for your help. :)

Mackenzie C.

Asked by Mackenzie C. at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• 15? Her self image is important to her. 15 is old enough to decide how she wants her hair. Let her do it at least once.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It's hair color. Not a boob job. I have been messing with my hair since I was 12, just because I think it's fun. But since you are the mother, you have the right to say no, I don't want you doing that, or saying no to colors you think are too extreme (until she is 18, of course!)
    Good luck!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 9:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would let her dye it. I don't see why so many people go for blond, honestly (I'm a natural blond and I stay as far away from it as possible and have since I was 14), but if she wants to dye her hair that's just a way for her to figure out what she likes.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I started coloring my hair around that age, it was more about the fact that I am like complected and like lighter hair color. I dont think its promoting a bad self image, sometimes its fun to try new things and experiment with your looks, all a part of growing up.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was dying my hair all kinds of colors by that time- it's just hair!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• let her do it
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Ugh - I dyed my hair without my mom's permission when I was 15 and have been dying it ever since. Depending on how far away this golden blonde is from her natural color, it could be hard to keep up with. What I would do is let her dye it a color not TOO far off from her natural shade but enough to make her happy, or doing highlights can be very pretty and give her a little confidence boost but I agree with everyone else - 15 is a time to experiment and start to make some of your own decisions into your personal looks :)
    AndiAK

Answer by AndiAK at 9:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Hi Mom, it could be a great excuse for a girl's day out. I am always trying to find ways to stay connected to my teen-aged daughters.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Just let her dye it what ever she wants. Its just a hair color, nothing major like piercings or anything. I mean I wouldnt want her to have blue hair, but let her make at least that choice on her own ;)
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My mom first let me get my hair colored at age 14..at that age they are going through a lot of changes and phases physically and mentally...its important i think to allow our children be who they want to be and i think if she wants some highlights then go for it..it will make her happy and feel better about herself which in turn should make momma happy :-)
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011