What do you think about reprinting Huckleberry Finn and replacing the N..... word with the word slave?

I am seeing this on 60 Minutes and thought it would be interesting discussion.

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it should be illegal. The mans words were written as he intended them to be. They were the appropriate words IN THEIR TIME. So what, now we're going to rewrite history because it offends us? It should offend every living soul that they are trying to hide the ugliness that existed in this country for so long. Leaving no history of them is exactly why the Egyptians kept no record of 400 years of Hebrew slaves. There is no difference. Ugly is ugly. Our youth are being taught precious little history as it is. What we do teach them should be correct. mark Twain is certainly rolling in his grave.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I hate it!! It is pertinent to the period in which the book was written! It is an ANTI-SLAVERY book!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• When I heard about this a few months ago I thought it was ridiculous and I still do. I hate that word probably more than any other, but it was acceptable at the time the book was written and I am SO against censorship like this. What's next? Are we going to end up living in a world like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451?

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't believe that any book should ever be re-written. That reminds me of 1984 by Orwell.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You should not be able to rewrite history. That was the word used then.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That they should leave it the way it was written. Period.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 9:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• The world is becoming too politically correct and taking away from a part of the education of our youth.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think it should stand the way it was written. PC has gone to far we truly have become the nanny nation.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yup leave it the way it was written. The N word is derogatory and REALLY needs to NEVER be used, BY ANYONE! P E R I O D!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think history needs to be left alone. We can't erase every bad thing that's ever happened. History is important so people can learn from mistakes and injustices from the past. How do you know where to go when you don't know where you've been?
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011