OMG Ants...tons of ants... Help?!

I won't go into the long story because it would take a while, but basically my spare bedroom is practically swarming with ants. The door doesn't latch properly, so I need something non-toxic to use to kill the little bastards (we have cats and DD to worry about, which is why I need a non-toxic way to get rid of them). Are there any cheap and non-toxic ways to kill these things?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Put a cheap latch on the door. Mix 50/50 sugar and boric acid. Sprinkle. Dead.

A latch costs less than a buck, install one.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Used coffee grounds does the trick. Just sprinkle over the ants.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Here is a whole page of different ways to get rid of ants a non-toxic way. http://www.greenecoservices.com/top-21-ways-to-get-rid-of-ants-naturally/
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• ants dont like vinegar. pour some by the door where they come in.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Vinegar will chase them away and keep em away. pour it on the path they are using. Even over the threshold of the door. Put it in a spray bottle and use like bug spray.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Cinnamon!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It'll take a while, but a hammer works (I had a slob of a roommate once). Otherwise clear out the room and find out where the food it that is appealing to the ants. Within a week of my roommate going AWOL the ants were gone. I was scrupulous about sweeping the floors and keeping my side of the room clean and they never invaded me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Oh, crap! The hammer on the ants, not the roommate.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Terro works. It is toxic but you could put it outside the window or frame of that room.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011