Has anyone cared for a 3 m/o infant with RSV .... at home???

We went to the ER and he has mild RSV, didn't need to be hospitalized. Breathing treatments every 4 hours as needed, watch for worsening signs to bring him back to ER, but should be able to break it up with breathing treatments and nasal aspirator/saline suctioning per ER doc.

Has anyone else had an infant with RSV not hospitalized and were you scared that you'd miss the "worsening" signs, if any? How long before they were better, and how could you tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is now 2 weeks old and developed rsv symptoms at 4 days old , he was diagnosed at 6 days old and I was definitely scared to death he was gonna suffocate, etc. but we treated him at home and he is doing much better, just a mild wheeze left and dr says he,ll be just fine. I cant tell you not to worry because your a good mom and thats what we will naturally do but ill give you advice on what we did, we suctioned his nose using saline drops whenever he sounded congested, ran a cool mist vaporizer 24 hours around him, allowed zero smoking in our home, had him sleep elevated so he could breathe easier and gave him his treatments every four hours, as well as monitoring his temp, I also took him in everyday to see his pediatrician to monitor his lungs sounds. Good luck, Im sure your baby will be fine all he needs is tender loving care.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Rhonda, thank you! We are doing exactly every single thing that you've listed with the exception of taking him daily to the dr although we are supposed to take him for a follow up with the dr tomorrow (per ER doc.) I just want to make sure that he's OK. Thanks for your reply! And encouraging words, you are too kind.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son was born with severe rsvp and had to be hospitalized, but when he was ready to come home. I was always scared that he would get worse. Now he is sevan but if he gets a slight cold, he need breating treatments every four hour. As well as nasal spray. Your doing everything you can. When they sent me home with my baby they told me to watch his back when he breaths to see how much his lungs are working to help him breath.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, but g/l
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011