My 18 month old acts like he's ready to potty train but at the same time I'm unsure

He points at his diaper and whines when hes peeing. he's very interested in figuring out what thats all about.
he likes sitting on his potty chair with his clothes on, but when i change his diaper and ask him to sit on it, he shouts and doesn't want to.
oh and he HATES having his diaper changed.
what can i do to help him want to try and sit on the potty chair without clothes on, so he can learn to start to pee on it?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't rush him and don't be surprised if it's another year before he's getting serious about it. It's good he's recognising that he's peeing. Use that, and respond by changing him right away, to encorage that awareness. But if he's not ready to sit on the potty, don't turn it into a battle. That will put him off. It should be all about control and praise and positive things, not nagging or scolding or forcing the issue. One thing you might make sure the potty is not too cold for his lil butt, as that could be why he doesn't like sitting with his clothes off. ?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Take a kitchen timer with you and tell him when it dings he can get up. I used one with my DD and she knows when it dings then we get of the potty. Take books with you and try to make it enjoyable.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If he shows interest, buy a training potty and start working on that. Though he's probably not ready until he wakes up in the morning with a dry diaper.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My daughter was ready to go at 18 months. She was not, however, interested in the potty seat. She wanted to go on the big toilet. So I bought one of those toddler seats and she just started using it. My second child, I just started him on there as well. Maybe try that. Let him pick out the type of seat he wants and let him try it. He might go for it, he might not. He might want you to stay in there, he might not. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011