Juvinel Diabeties

I am going to call the Dr tommorow, but wondering what every one else thinks about this.
My oldest son is 3 years old and he has two symptoms of this. He constantly has to go Pee, and he is constantly thirsty. He will if u let him drink sippy after sippy of something to drink. I limit his drinking for breakfast, Lunch, snack, and supper, plus he gets little sips from something we are drinking.
If i fill the sippy full to the brim he will drink it half gone already if not more if i don't tell him to slow down.
He is constantly going pee, but i always thought that it was because he is drinking so much in one sitting.
I have a little boy i babysit for who is 2and half years old, and does the same thing that my son does, u give them their sippy cups they drink it gone in like 2 sittings. I talked to other parents and they say that their kids do that too and it will pass when they go in school.
I am worried he might have it, the Dr said he is very healthy and has never brought it up before about it at any of his check ups or Dr Visits. I never really concerned it either until today. Do u think his dr would have said something earlier if he had it, or because i never mentioned we never got him tested for it either.
Just wondering what u all think about this, or if ur son or daughter has been Diagnosed with it, and how it was diagnosed

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, I think you're over thinking. Kids have tiny bladders and they eat and drink a lot depending on their growth schedules.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 9:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• OK, He is three and only weighs in at 23lbs and is 33inches tall. So that might be why i am concerend
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• All I can say is, if you are uncomfortable about it; then making a call to the Dr. is what you should do. Never hurts to call and get their professional opinion.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Has he had a virus recently?? It seems that all the children (and young teens) that have been diagnosed with JD in our area recently have had a nasty unidentified virus before they were diagnosed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• my daughter use to drink that much and she is fine..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well when he was 2years old He had a really bad Respiratory Virus, his oxygen levels were low, they gave him a Machine he had to breathe into with Albuterol, and he was fine the next day, and we use that if he is really congested because she said we could. But that has been the only serious illness he had
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• this what i would tell you if you was my patient no i don't believe he as jd based on just what you viewed so far...yes it is normal for some children to drink and pee alot it is common and nothing to get to concern about. the one thing you didnt share was what are you giving him to drink because some juices / sodas are too strong with sugar and other additiives for children which can cause you to be more thirsty so make sure you are giving him plenty of water and fresh fruits and veggies which is another source of water...if it is juice/soda than dilute it with water. now if he had the symptoms with fatigue, dry /itchy skin,wounds or cuts that take a very long time to heal or blurry vision than i would say please come in and get him tested but if you want to do some things to make sure or try to prevent ..dilute strong juices and water until after the age of six, give fresh fruits and veggies, keep him active with outdoor fun
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 10:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My husband was 7 when first dx. The symptoms his parents, both nurses, noticed: always peeing and always thirtsty. His dad KNEW. It could be other issues but there are kids dx with diabetes with juvenile onset at very young ages. My husband's family did not have a history on either side. So hopefully it is not but at least you know what the worst case could be. I find parents know the difference because there are some differences between frequent urination due to sugar issues and frequent urination with UTI's. Hope your little guy gets the very best care.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• By the way, he did not have a virus before being dx, he never had dry or itchy skin. His pancreas just went to crap. It stopes working. So while more than likely it is nothing don't dis intuition. A mom knows her child. At the very least have peace of mind you ruled out an issue.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• To Mztxdelata- my son only drinks water, and milk. He can only have a small amount of juice like 4oz otherwise he gets the Diarrhea. If he gets soda it is only like 1 or 2 sips from ours when we go out to eat. He eats Apples, bananas, Carrots, Grapes, pears.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011