Do u punish your kids for touching there genitals?

I just got into basically an argument with a friend because I was mentioning how my son was taking his pants and diaper off at night to touch himself, that he is doing it more, and my sons pedi told me to tell him that its ok to touch his peepee as long as he does it in the bathroom or bedroom, and ignore it from there-
I recongise the fact that though compleatly gross, my son obvioulsy has some type of sexualiy if he can get an erection from a week old simply by washing his peepee- She freaked out on me and said it was preverse to allow a child to touch themselves because thats somthing only adults should do.
Am I wrong to ignore it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your friend is someone I would not allow around my child. It is perfectly normal, non sexual, and healthy for kids to explore their bodies. They should never be punished for it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Abso-feakin-lutely-not. They're kids, theyre going to try and figure out their bodies. Why teach them that something on them is "bad"?
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 9:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son does this also. They just exploring that is all. Does your friend have kids?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• – collapse
    i yell at my kids when they do it, i think its wrong - my opinion.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• yes she has one child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It's the Phallic stage. Normal for toddlers and children. I don't yell or punish at my child when she touches her genitals.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i dont punish
    but i do tell my 9 year old step son when ever i catch him reajusting it to go to the bath room and do that ! i tolf him that since he was 4 i often remind my step daughter that its not nice to put your hand there. but no i dont punish i just tell them to stop it or go do it in the bath room
    my 2 year old loves touching it every time we change his nappy but he 2 lol
    its not sexual she it can go hard but it not the same as a hard on . it just increased blood flow so dont freack out
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Punish, no. I just tell them it's not appropriate while others are in the same room lol.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Just as long as they do it when they are by themselves then whats the problem. They are just kids and they are learning about themselves. Soon it won't be an issue because the phase will pass until he is a teen.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I tell my son that its ok to touch it, but he needs to do it in the bathroom or bedroom-
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011