Any thoughts....?

I am currently in the process of detoxing from caffeine. Unfortunately, I was addicted to caffeine during my pregnancy and have continued to be in the 3 months since. The problem is that my baby boy gets primarily breast milk (because he was 9 wks early, I have to pump and add calorie fortifier) so he has been getting caffeine since his conception. Now we are both detoxing. I know that I should have stopped the soda when I got pregnant, but I can't fix it so I won't dwell on it.

My son is finally getting over the withdrawal, it seems (and I hope). Other than give him all the attention and cuddling he demands and feeling so bad that his pain is my own fault, do any of you have suggestions?

ElenaC419

Asked by ElenaC419 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would honestly talk to his pediatrician. When it comes to infants....I would only trust a doctor.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 10:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• First of all, big KUDOS! Great job, kicking the habit. I kicked it for pregnancy and the early part of nursing, but I started chugging the soda again shortly after my daughter's first birthday. I know I am her model, so I really need to tackle that addiction again.
    Found these, I think most of these are safe for YOU to take to pass into breastmilk, but check with kellymom.com or lll.org:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1726158/5_natural_remedies_for_caffeine_withdrawal.html

It says Ginseng, magnesium and calcium supplements (I know that is safe for you, look for a great mix-in-your-drink product at your health food store called "Mama Calm"), restorative yoga, and herbal supplements (there's where you need to check).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• one glass is ok but if u need to do it then try just cutting back slowly! going cold turkey will b hard for both of u and i always get awful headaches when i stop drinking soda!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I really cant help i was and still am addicted to caffine thru both of prgenanices and my 2yr old gets a least a coke a day!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have gone from almost a 12 pack of Mt Dew a day to one 20 oz bottle a day.
    ElenaC419

Comment by ElenaC419 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011