My six year old daughter came in asked if she could vote...

She wants to vote for Justin Bieber on the teen choice award. I told her I'd think about it. I really don't mind her doing it but I don't want her to be like I voted for him why didn't he win? I'm going to explain it to her, that because she votes doesn't mean he's going to win and how voting works. But how to explain it to her and insure she gets it is ey're tricky part. Would you let your son or daughter do it? Why or why not?

prissysayshi

Asked by prissysayshi at 10:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think letting her and explaining how voting works is a good idea. I think you are going about it the right way. You might even model it. Take a vote in your family for "what is the best flavor of ice cream," or "what is the most awesome pet," and provide choices. A vote in a family or a group of friends with raised hands and only a couple choices is easy and quick enough to repeat at least 3-4 times. Maybe rig it so that the choice you know she will pick wins at least once and loses at least once, but with enough rounds, that would happen naturally. Then, you can talk about how her vote counts because it might tip the scale (we were divided 2 and 2 on vanilla vs. chocolate, but you tipped it toward chocolate and chocolate won) but other times, her choice could just naturally be outnumbered (three of us thought a monkey would be an awesome pet, but only two thought a tarantula would be cool, so you two were outvoted).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• yes, kids need to learn that their vote does not always count for a win
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes, I have let my daughter vote since she was 4. Its really not that big of a deal.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes, I would let mine 7 year old vote. It will help her to learn voting in a democracy. I know that Justin Bieber has nothing to do with democracy, but voting does. If she is in school, I would think they have talked about voting at elections times.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Mine doesn't even know who he is.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Not sure, my kids never heard of him. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• probably not, but my son doesn't watch those shows anyway. PRetty silly if you ask me..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Mine dont lol.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 2:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• MIne haven't but if my son wanted to I would let him.
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 3:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My daughter cant vote for Bieber LOL
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 3:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011