Am I crazy or do I not owe this lady money?

I recently just moved and my previous landlord thinks I still owe her money. The rent was $1000 a month and she refused to take a payment as a lump sum so shee deemed I owed her $500 a month and my bf owed her $500 a month. I was to pay her on the first of every month and him the 14th. On October the 14th my boyfriend payed her $500 and on the first I gave her $250 because we were moving out on the 14th and she said I only owed her 1/2 a months rent. Now she is trying to say that my bf owes her $250 because he never paid his 1/2 of the 1/2 a months rent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• No you are right you don't owe her your rent is paid up
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 4:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am very frustrated because she agrees that he was paid up until the 14th but refuses to admit that since he pays on the 14th 1/2 of his rent is for one month and 1/2 of his rent is for the other month. Some one please tell me I'm not insane because my boyfriend wants to pay her and we REALLY don't have the money. Now she's threating to take us to court and I say let her.
    Anonymous

• $250 isn't that much, just pay it. Small claims court will be a bigger pain in your ass.
    Anonymous

• not the point
    Anonymous

• Its not the point, but do you have receipts to prove that you paid her? And do you have a written contract stating that this was how the payment arrangements were set up?

If you don't, then pay it and move on. If you do, then yeah, let her take you to small claims court.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If it's in writing, let her take you to court. if it's not, pay it, she would win!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It all depends on how the contract was worded. If it stated that you owed $500/month due on the 1st and that $500 paid you up from the first of the month to the last of the month and your bf had the same arrangement only his was due on the 14th and that paid him up until the 13th of the following month then you wouldn't owe her any money. He paid himself up to the 13th of this month when he paid his share last month....If the contract is stated as you owe $1000/month and it is to be divided into two equal payments of $500 regardless of who pays then you would still owe her the $250. In case #1 you would have two separate contracts. In case #2 you would only have one. So, do you have one contract or two?
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Wait a sec. When did you move out? 11/15? IF SO, you do indeed owe her money because the October $500 was for OCTOBER.

Give us exact dates of payments and moveout.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I paid her the 1st $250 for 1/2 a months rent he paid her th 14th for a full month we moved out the 14th
    Anonymous

• If the rent is $1,000 a month, and you stayed for half the month then you owed $500. Since you already paid $250 you still owe $250. Nice try though.
    Anonymous