Why so much hatred for Christianity?

I'm not talking about not believing in a god/diety/holy fruitcake/invisible friend/whatever ... I'm talking about those comments that positively drip with venom when it comes to discussing Christianity. 

I am really curious where the hatred comes from. 

This really is just a curiosity because I personally don't like organized religion and tend to roll my eyes at many comments from "Christians" (The quotes mean I think those Christians are "show only" Christians)

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most hatred comes from LACK of knowledge. I.E. the unknown People usually fear what they dont know or dont know anything about. Same with Muslims. seems to be LOTS more haters of Muslims and when you ask them why they hate them they have the STUPIDEST answers like they are all terrorists, which intelligent people know is not true.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• IMO I believe it is because how the religion is viewed as a whole. The reason some get so bent out of shape-I am in no way defending their actions-is because "some" Christians push their views so far as to say it is that way or the highway. I think-even for me who believes in god-see the many flaws and how people answer is the same over and over. There is hardly any validity to many of the answers rather the same quotes taken mostly out of context for personal gain or proof. Of course, this is just what I have seen it doesn't in any way make my statement true.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• In some ways you are right vbruno but in others you are not. Many of those who show this "hatred" which I find is a bit of a harsh term, really are very educated on the subject hence many of them can tell you flat out why they turned from the Christian path as did I.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• LACK of knowledge. I.E. the unknown People usually fear what they dont know or dont know anything about.

^^ There's one reason, the constant condescension
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think it has to do with the way many Christians treat nonChristians, the condescension, the hypocrisy of un-Christlike behavior, as well as the lack of awareness many of us have about our own faith and its history/development/etc... At least part of it, anyway...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have asked hundreds of people and still do EVERY TIME they say they hate muslims and I get the ignorant uninformed answer of "because they are terrorists" 99% of the time! So Im correct as far as how many Ive asked. Im a Christian and have nothing against any religion, but EVERY religion has it's pushy people and people who have stop ped believing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Then it would be "some' not most but I get what you are saying.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• The Pat Robertsons, Westboros, and all of the other lunatics, give Christians a bad rep...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Very true rkoloms. These types of groups def. give the bad rap along with some people too like bandgeek said. I have met some wonderful people who believe the Christian way and they are beautiful people.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am a Christian, and I can remember a few encounters with Christians who came to my door, asked me if I was going to Heaven and why, then looked at me with disgust because they didn't think my answer was good enough. I've also seen "street preachers" stand on the street and yell at the whole crowd that they are going to Hell, or following an unwed pregnant girl around a public place and call her a whore (yes, I have seen one man do that). There are those who seem to be smacking you upside the head with their Bible instead of sharing their beliefs in love and gentleness.

What it comes down to is that we are all flawed humans. Some of the example I gave may even have some mental health issues involved (like the "street preacher" and the next guy I mentioned).

OP, I've seen that you are able to talk to anyone respectfully, and that is a good quality.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011